Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Question about the rights of a Mother!

My 1/2 sister's husband kicked her out of her house because she doesn't want to live the Pentecostal, church related lifestyle anymore. He has always forced and cornered her, made her wear un-revealing clothing, never let's her drink alcohol, and on and on... etc... She is my 1/2 sister, we have the same dad, and long story short, her mother put her up for adoption when she was 2, and she was adopted into a controlling, religious family. I had to give you some background before explaining the situation… She now has 4 children with this guy (who her parents picked out for her to marry) and after re-connecting with myself and comparing my life with my husband and family to hers, she realizes that his controlling demeanor is not right, and she wants out of it. She tried talking to him about how she feels, but he kicked her out, and won’t let her see her 4 children. She’s a stay at home mom, no job, and her husband provided her with a cell phone and cash only when something was needed for the house. He has now taken all of that away. To top things off, her adoptive family is on his side!! He knows that she can’t afford a lawyer, or a place to stay. She is currently looking for a job and an assistance program to try to get her own apartment.

My questions is, what should her next LEGAl step be? He is threatening to take the kids away if she doesn’t return back to church and their previous lifestyle. She lives in a different state from me and my family so I can’t do much to help her, I can really only seek advice.

Sorry if this questions is long and confusing. I just want to try to help, but I don’t have any advice to give her. I wasn't sure what category to put this in, so I hope I picked the right one...

Answer Question

Asked by IvyRhiann at 1:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 6 (128 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Since he sounds as though he was controlling everything- she should call her local battered women's shelter. they will point her in the right direction. included but not limited to atty's who will work with her financial situation

    Answer by feralxat at 1:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

  • I would call 211 and look at the services offered in the area. She may or may not qualify for a shelter. Where is she living now if he kicked her out and has no money or job?
    Obviously she needs to find employment. She can go to the courthouse and talk to someone there who will help he file for divorce and interim support and possibly custody of visitation, though custody is doubtful until she actually has a residence.

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

  • She can get free consultation with a lawyer. She should also call the family court.... here in MA if you are a SAHM you can actually go to court an petition for the soon to be ex to be responsible for the legal costs as they realize that part of the problem is that he is controlling all the money. She needs to a professional that deals with this stuff!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

  • Call 211, go to a women's shelter.

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.