my ten yr old daughter is writting about cutting herself but does not seem to be actually doing it ???PLEASE HELP

she says I like her brother more he is "perfect" not and that I like her friends more then I like her I am so scared and now falling into a major depression. We fight constantly and she gets bullied at school for being "fat". Anyone out there I really need some help is she manipulating me to get her way or is she is real danger I fell so scared I might lose her

Scared0905

Asked by Scared0905 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• She, along with the family needs counseling.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• This is a job for a professional. Take her to a counselor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• counseling NOW
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I am calling school counselor today Damn Psy degree I have does not help with my own kids. I cant pay for counseling but I will find a way she my life and I love her so much please send prayers-scared0905
    Scared0905

Comment by Scared0905 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• A "school counselor" is not a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist. You need a PROFESSIONAL.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Try the school psychologist - they are licensed psychologists - Guidance counselor can help you set up an appointment with them. Both can help you find the care you need outside the system if needed - so that is a good place to start.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• You can also check with your county health department. In many communities, low-cost counseling is available on a sliding scale based on income.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Call the churches in your area. They offer counseling for free, or at least, many of them do. Find one today!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• It's good that you contacted the counselor at school. That will help you identify what can help.
    In the meantime, focus on listening to your daughter. Think in terms of being curious and discovering how she feels & what she thinks, REGARDLESS of the content. Think of it as truly getting to know what's in there, in contrast to taking on the project of "addressing" everything you hear that strikes you as frighteningly inaccurate. Her perceptions of things are what you want to learn, since those perceptions really ARE "the way it is" for her.
    Listen, listen (rather than engaging the content of what she's saying.)
    Hear her out on these perceptions of your negative judgments & comparisons of her. Express caring, rather than protesting or explaining. This doesn't mean "agreeing" with her. Think more along the lines of caring, like "Those are rough feelings to have" or "That sounds like such a hard way to feel."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I agree with Counseling.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2013