How would you respond?

Over lunch, my daughter and I had a conversation.

"Mommy, I love you the best."

"I love you too, sweetie."

"I love you more than Daddy."

"Why? Your daddy loves you bunches."

"He gets cranky at me."

"That's true. Sometimes he does."

"So I love you the best."

I just kind of let it drop, but have your kids ever said anything like that? I'm sure it would hurt her dad's feelings if he heard it--or maybe not, since he's raised kids before, if it's normal for them to say stuff like this. I was kind of taken aback.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• However, personally, I would talk with dad and say, you might want to make sure you are not being overly cranky. You might want to tell him this story. When I was going through the nightmare of my divorce, and under a great deal of stress, I found a note in my son's room that said he wanted to run away because I yelled at him so much. It broke my heart, and made me examine my behavior. I was yelling too much. I apologized to my son. From then on, before I opened my mouth to scold my son, I found a better, calmer way to get my displeasure across. I still have that note, and I read it sometimes. It still breaks my heart. Ask him if he would like to find a note like that.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Normal every day thing from a little one
    When her dad takes her to the swings at the park, you will drop down to number two
    Lol

Cute
    Zero worries on this one
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I hated both my parents and would cry for my aunt, my nana, the neighbor.... totally normal.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• We get this a lot. DD is 5, and she frequently asks who I love more, her or daddy. I always tell her I love them both, and I refuse to compare. Love can't be measured.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I'm grumpy, dads fun. It happens. I don't worry about it much because I'm the main caretaker. Don't worry you will piss her off one day & she will hate you in that instance.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Before my kid's dad lost his mind and abandoned them, both of them let me know that they loved their daddy more than me. That was because I was the disciplinarian, and he never would do any kind of discipline. Funny, but the slut who worked so hard to steal my husband even called me to complain about this to me, asking how to deal with it, lol, too funny.I told her she wanted him so bad so she could figure it out.  My 25 year old recently told me that looking back, she now appreciates that I gave her boundaries, and consequences for poor behavior.  So, all this is to say, when kids are young, they don't understand that as parents, sometimes we need to scold, and give consequences for poor choices. (cont.)

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Children have so much love for both parents.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Aww- admit it, secretly a part of you thought "yeah I win!" lol :p No but seriously, I would just bookmark the moment, unless she brings it up again. Then you can ask her why she thinks daddy gets cranky. Maybe he's tired, or worried about his parents, etc. And remind her that you get upset w/ her sometimes too. But that you both love her very much & her love for you & her daddy is what helps to make you a good family. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• "thank you"
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• She probably told him she loves him the best,too! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2013