Can I breastfeeding again?

I breastfed exclusively for 4 months. My thyroid was overacting and it made my milk supply deminish to almost nothing. My thyroid seems to be back to normal but it had taken about 3 weeks. Can I restart breastfeeding? Is it possible for a woman to just dry up, my mom said she stopped at 3 months because she stopped producing but I've read that that doesn't happen. Anyways can I restart if so how?

Abdhodge

Asked by Abdhodge at 5:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can. You'll have to start baby nursing again. Contact your local La Leche League for tips. I've never stopped and re-started so I am not entirely sure how, but I do know it can be done.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Yes, you can restart. Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for help.

Most women who think they've dried up are actually mistaken or looking for the wrong things. It takes a long time to dry up. But be warned; since there were thyroid issues, it won't be easy.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Look up 'relactation" on the Internet or find a chapter of La Leche League in your area.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I would think that if you consistently put the baby at the nipple then you might start producing again. I have heard of women who stop producing for no apparent reason. Also if you try to start pumping that can make you dry up. Look up mother's milk banks also, you can get breast milk to feed your baby if you can't produce, if you're comfortable with that.
    RaylenJoy

Answer by RaylenJoy at 12:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2013