What is a perfect age for a child to start dating?

I have a 13 year old who already have had her desires of wanting to connect to the outside world. She's created her own social sites, and have many times been introduces to inappropriate things I do not condole. I know she will not always been a lil girl, but I want to keep her innocence as long as I can. I figure 15 or even waiting until she's 17.

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 5:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• It depends on what you expect dating to turn into
    If you'd like her to learn how to be in a relationship,how to care for someone,I'd say 16
    If you would like it to be to find a future mate,I'd say 18-19
    13 is way too soon for those feelings

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• There is no magic age. You should factor in maturity, ability to handle conflict and disappointment and is she responsible. 13 for some is old enough to be dropped at a movie with friends ( a group of boys and girls) others Not so mch.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Thanks, I agree. I will never allow her to date a 13, although she had went behind my back and dated when she first started intermediate. But I nipped that real quick. I just wanted to be fair, because some thing I too strict. Thanks, I feel better knowing I'm not the only parent who feels 13 is too young.
    ladynell4god

Comment by ladynell4god (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I don't know if there is a perfect age. When I was a kid, my parents set the age as 16 and I've used that as a guideline for my kids. Prior to turning 16, my kids were (are) allowed to hang out with friends. But to go on a date, they had (have) to be 16.
    My oldest is the only one dating but the rules are: 1. No dates on school nights. 2. Curfew is 10 pm unless otherwise negotiated. 3. Either I or her father must know where she is at all times. If 1 of us texts or calls her and she doesn't answer, she is grounded for a day. 4. If her grades or housework start to suffer, dating gets put on hold.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• At thirteen, maybe going to a movie with a bunch of friends would be okay, but leaving a couple that young together wouldn't be a good plan.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• well, you can't really stop her so... the best thing is to kep her busy, and teach her that happiness comes from HER- not to rely on guys for that and teach her how to be careful, what true friends and good guys are...and hope for the best.
    if she wants to go out with someone- make sure they go in a group -with other kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I think 15 is a good age...

Answer by older at 6:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• 35
    and get her off of the social networks.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• You need to monitor her computer, 13 is way too young to date.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• IMO 13 is too young.

Our son has been dating the same girl for almost a year now. They're the same age, (17). We limit their ability to be alone. They mostly hang out at our house, or hers. They have already over stepped by having sex, and all of us (her parents, and us) have sat down and had a long talk with both of them. They are both great kids, with great futures in front of them, so we have to keep them on the right track. They are both dealing with the rules, and know that in another year or so, they will be adults, and can do what they want. Until then they will do what we say.
    I don't care what anyone says, if the opportunity presents itself they will do something without thinking, and then there will be much bigger problems. We tell them all the time, we're protecting them from themselves... I pray it's sinking in...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2013