You live in Colorado? Will you answer some questions for me then?

Yep, I'm at it again, asking questions to help with a book I'm working on.

This one is set in Colorado. I've made up my own little town (at least, I'm pretty sure I did - you don't know of a real Cherrywood in Colorado, do you?), set about two hours northeastish from Denver, toward Nebraska.

What is the weather/climate there like? I'm looking for info on temps, rain, snow mainly. Also, as far as I can tell, it's pretty flat in that area, right? No real mountains as far as I can tell, but is there any hilly terrain? I'd also like to know when it's heading into early autumn, what's the grass like? Does it turn brown, get crunchy, stay nice and green and soft?

I've looked it all up online, but a lot of what I'm finding so far is very general, overall descriptions that don't give me any details that help with trying to describe the things my characters might notice, like when the temperature starts to drop at the end of the day or how the grass would feel under their toes.

Any help would be super appreciated. (No idea if entertainment is the right category, but no others fit, so I figured since this is for a book, entertainment would work.)

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 6:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• There's a Cherry Hills, Colorado, but it's a fancy schmancy suburb in Denver, so not at all like what you've made up.

The terrain in the part of the state you're interested in is very flat. Lots of farm fields. In the summer it's hot and dry; in the winter, there can be a lot of snow driven by the wind. The highways out there get closed fairly often due to blizzard or white-out conditions. In the summer, violent thunderstorms with hail blow up quickly and fairly often in the late afternoons. There are tornadoes once in a while. By this time in the summer, the grass is brown and dry. There's always a danger of prairie fires. The great thing about the coming fall is that it can be really hot in the daytime, but there's no humidity, so when the sungoes down the temperature drops nicely. The nights and early mornings are crisp and cool. It's great to sleep with your windos open. (cont.)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Not a town by that name off that direction, that I'm aware of. Terrain can get pretty hilly. Depending, you can see the mountains very faintly. There are dry river beds, small rivers

In the winter there is snow, particularly blizzard conditions. Spring and summer can bring tornadoes. By early fall, the grasses tend to be pretty brown and starting to become crunchy. In early fall the days can be warm (plenty of people still wearing shorts) but as the sun sets it gets cool. The sunsets are AMAZING!! There is TONS of sunshine here. Out in that part of the state, stars are incredible.

Look at info on towns like Fort Morgan (1.5 hours from Denver) and Sterling (just over 2 hours). They are along I76 and in the general direction you are thinking.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• In the daytime, the wind can be dusty and scorching, but at night it's refreshing, especially if it has rained. The first bit of fall is my favorite time of the year because of the wonderful, cool, long evenings. The grass in the open fields is dry, but usually tall unless it's been mowed down. Lawns are hard to keep soft and green without a lot of watering, which is usually restricted to two or three days a week.

I hope I haven't rambled too much. PM me if you have other questions. This is my stomping ground.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Like Ballad said, parts are pretty flat. There are sections that are hilly. See if you can look up some topographical maps of the state to give you a better idea for the location you are planning.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I am on the other side of the state...so no real help from me. I did live in Greeley for a couple of years though. Everything Ballad said is right on the mark.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• When yo go towards Kansas it is flat, towards Nebraska more hilly, it has snow, but not like Denver, summer anywhere from 75-90 degrees, pretty decent place to grow tomatoes.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Awesome answers, ladies, thank you! One other thing I forgot to ask though...I want my character to own property that is surrounded by forest. And I do mean surrounded, to the point where her driveway is basically a little trail through the forest to her house. Would that be found in the area I'm thinking of? If not, where would I need to go? I kind of need it to be a couple of hours out of Denver, because there's cause for a few people to go there.

Thank you again! You guys are always so helpful - I think I'm going to have to make sure to thank you all in the acknowledgements! lol
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• There isn't much in the way of forest out that direction. There is some tree growth along the rivers, but it's mostly tall grasses a scrubby-looking bushes. If you want thick forest, go west (direct west, northwest, southwest). Places about 2 hours from Denver include Woodland Park (its near Pikes Peak), Breckenridge, and a bit further at 2.5 hours Red Feather Lakes.

saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• If that's the direction you want to go, early Autumn is spectacular. It can still be warm, but sun goes behind the mountains earlier than on the plains. Nights can get cold. That time of year, the aspen tend to be at peak color and entire hillsides can be shimmering golden, which when put against the deep green of the pine is amazing. The grasses are usually brown and brittle/crunchy. Creeks are running low. A bit later in autumn, in the mountains you can hear elk bugling. It's not unusually for the mountains to see snow starting in early fall, typically on the higher peaks but lower elevations can see the white stuff too. In the mountains, storms can come up unexpectedly and very fast.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2013