Any tips on encouraging a baby to crawl?

lvlymummy08

Asked by lvlymummy08 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sit in front of him/her on the floor and talk to them, and sometimes it helps to get beside them and put your hand under their tummy, to help move them along.
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• place the baby on the floor on its tummy or in the crawling stance. you know legs curled under and put his/her favoorite toy or a toy in front of them. they will be tempted and reach for it and fall..then you let them play with it for a few and take it away and place it just out of there reach . this is how i got mine to crawl. you can also do what candice said to do..or try both. just dont rush it once they start moving all hell breaks loose! lol
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I've just been putting mine on the floor and letting him roll into position, then I sit in front of him and shake a toy. He can get up on his knees really well but he hasn't figured out the arm movement. Right now it's more like a lunge movement lol. He's getting there. Practice makes perfect!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Put the baby on there tummy with some toys.Do this a few times a day until they crawl.
    Anonymous

• We used a big mirror for our first daugter. It sat aginst the wall on the floor. We would sit her a few feet away and she would always try to get to her reflection.
    my_11_stars

Answer by my_11_stars at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I made the mistake of leaving the TV remote on the floor in front of my son who would already push himself into a crawling position. He made a break for the remote and hasn't slowed down since.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Don't encourage them, once they start they are into everything LOL. My hubby would put my DS in the crawling position and then crawl around the house himself. It helped him because he could immatate my hubby.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My hubby was the same way. He was trying to get our son to crawl, walk, climb stairs. Then he gets to leave for work each day leaving me to avert disaster.

Just relax & enjoy the less than mobile stage. 

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with Mazonmom! That's what everyone told me with my 1st. Although he didn't crawl till 10-11 months and didn't walk till 17! I'm thinkin my youngest is gonna be a faster learner. I'm not ready for it.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009