'Bring Your Parents to School Day' in Illinois

New Law Creates ‘Bring Your Parents To School Day’
CBS Chicago

CHICAGO (CBS) – Gov. Pat Quinn has signed legislation aimed at encouraging parents to take an active role in their children’s education, by designating a “Bring Your Parents to School Day” at Illinois schools.
The governor signed legislation allowing school districts to designate the first Monday in October as “Bring Your Parents to School Day,” and allow children to bring their parents or legal guardians to class.
“A well-rounded education starts at home, and there is no better way to kick-off the school year right than with empowered parents,” Quinn said in a written statement.

Parents and guardians also would be allowed to meet with teachers and school administrators while at school.

The bill was sponsored by state Sen. Kimberly Lightford (D-Maywood) and state Rep. Chris Welch (D-Hillside).
Lightford said children are more likely to do well in school when their parents are involved in their education.
The legislation takes effect next year.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/10/new-law-creates-bring-your-parents-to-school-day/?utm_source=DailyContInfoNewsletters&utm_medium=DailyContInfoNewsletters&utm_campaign=DailyNewsHeadlines

Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think it will have a positive effect, or no effect at all?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• 1) I think parents who have to work, will not take off work to go to school with their children.

2) I think it will be more of a disruption to the learning process to have a bunch of parents in the classroom.

3) If they can't get some parents to come to open house or parent/teacher conferences, those are the same parents who will miss this opportunity as well.

I like the idea behind it, but think it's the wrong approach.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Our school does this, it is a good idea, but doubt it will transform crappy parents.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Those who are not involved because they don't give a rats as will still not go but anything is worth a try.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I do all the time, but it's not on designated days, it's to help out. As for trying to get parents to go, that usually don't... Good luck with that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Of course it's a good idea, in my opinion. Any opportunity to bring parents into the classroom/school is a positive step. I live in Chicago, the schools struggle, especially on the north side. People really can't imagine how bad it can be.

So, I'm all for this.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• we have this as well as a grandparents day. There is a morning only where mothers, or fathers, or grandparent has a day to have donuts with the kids.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I doubt that my boss would close the store just so that all of us could go to school with our kids. So, that eliminates a lot of working parents. And what about families with more than one child, and they are in different buildings? At one time I had each of my kids in a different school within the same district!

I think the intent is good, but the approach is not gonna work.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I agree with the chorus here. The idea is a good one with good intent behind it. But the parents who don't want to be involved are not going to be involved no matter what the school or state offers them. For the most part, the parents who will attend are the ones who already attend the conferences and parent nights already. But offering the opportunity is a step in the right direction. After all, as I tell my children, the teachers and I are on their team, and we want what is best for them - a good education. What better way for the children see this than to see the parents in the classroom as the teacher is teaching?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2013