Speaking of Wal-Mart, What does the produce and meat department look like at your local Wal-Mart?

I have noticed that Wal-Mart has really upped their ads and marketing on their produce and meat (ex. Master Chef and Extreme Weight Loss). However, we have two Wal-Marts in my town and their produce and meat department is crap. What about the Wal-Mart where you live at?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I don't shop them. I've been buying meat fresh from the butcher and produce from the orchard.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Over PRICED!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Meat looks a little ty-died at times.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I know the guy in charge of our meat dept. which is the only reason I occasionally shop there. Usually only for steaks and usually only when he's told me he just cut a bunch!
    Produce- meh :/ it usually smells there so I avoid it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Meat and produce department is horrible at Wal-Mart. In the warmer months, I absolutely refuse to shop in those departments there because they do not use a refrigerated/frozen truck. 1 time I bought a package of cheese from there that was all moldy (didn't notice until I had opened it) due to traveling to the store in an unrefrigerated truck. I've gotten food poisoning from the meat not being transported correctly. And everything just looks nasty.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• the two I live near are decent
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• *well, mostly- I mean they are clean and the produce *usually looks decent... Albertsons and Smiths *are* usually better and have more variety though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I don't buy meat from Wal Mart and the produce looks like all things unripe when picked, gassed, GMO crap. Corporation grown "food" products with the flavor bred out of them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I shop both departments at my local Wal-Mart. The meat is okay, but nothing to rave about. I'd rather go to the supermarket or the warehouse club, but meats are more expensive in both places and they're less convenient to get to, so Wal-Mart it is right now. The ground beef isn't as lean as I'd like. The produce is okay, but I don't buy melons, lemon, or peaches there anymore because it's hard to get ones that are ripe and flavorful. So I've been sticking to cuties, apples, bananas, strawberries, cherries, pineapples, onions, potatoes, carrots.

I found the meat at Albertson's to be way worse, though. Putrid, like something was wrong with the refrigeration there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• ok- the other day i was with DD and explaining WHY you turn over strawberry pints.
    mid sentence of saying, "...check for mold" the berries were moldy

the entire crate was moldy- we literally checked them all
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2013