Has anyone had or knows of anyone that has had a salivary gland removed?

I have surgery coming up to remove my right salivary gland because of recurrent stones. Was wondering how did anyone feel afterwards and did how much did it affect your production of saliva. Thanks.

my4loves3

Asked by my4loves3 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Health

• I don't know anything about this, but here's a bump and a wish for safe and successful surgery.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• not at all but why ?
    Zubies70

Answer by Zubies70 at 5:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I thought stones were made in the tonsils. For a surgery as drastic as this then I would get a second opinion first. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:45 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• The right parotid gland? A google search of parotidectomy will give you some these answers, but shouldn't replace a discussion with your ENT.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:12 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I get those little white stones as well.. (if that's what your talking about). But they are On my tonsils. Causes awful breath! I brush my teeth 3 or more times a day just to help! I saw a ENT few years back who suggested I get my tonsils removed of I wanted to solve te issue but side then I have been pregnant and taking care of infants so I just never got around to it.

Did your dr tell you why the saliva is linked? I'm not well versed in causes and what your particular case is but my dr told me it was small particles of food that get trapped in the deep creases of the tonsils.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 11:24 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Mine is because I have Sj√∂gren's Syndrome. My stone is in the saliva duct under my tongue but have a few in my gland. It called Submandibular Gland Stone and the surgery is called Submandibular gland excision.
    my4loves3

Comment by my4loves3 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'm just scared and no nothing about the surgery
    my4loves3

Comment by my4loves3 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I have sjogrens as well but have never had the gland removed. I used to get stones often when I was married to my ex, once I removed that stress from my life I've only had 1-2 episodes in 7 years.
    Good luck with your surgery!

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2013