What happens to your body when you suffer a devastating event?

i haven't eaten properly since Monday because of a death.

i'm sooooooo hungry but I just can't eat.

I can't exercise.

someone once said its a state of mind but whats really happening?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Health

• Good Morning. I am your friendly online armchair shrink :)

You may be experiencing Situaltional Depression.
    The affects of depression on appetite are listed here.

If the death continues to have an impact on everyday living please contact a professional or at least someone with more info

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• You're grieving. It's only been three days, at this point what you're describing is pretty normal.

You're probably going to have to make yourself eat. It's at a point where it's not so much whether you want it or not, you just have to do it.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I went into shut down mode. Pretty much what you are describing is what i went through as well. In April, I lost both my mom and sister within 5 days apart and I am still trying to recover. It's been tough to say the least. I get into moods of just being totaly shut off from everything and I don't want to talk to anybody. I then try to snap myself out of it because I can't be like that for the sake of my son. It's just me that takes care of him, so he keeps me busy and it keeps my mind occupied. It's been 12 yrs since my dad passed and I still feel like I am not over that.

I am so sorry for the loss you have suffered. It's not easy at all, but I hope that you can find some peace and be able to move forward. Take some time to grieve and talk to someome one. That's one thing I have learned is you can't always handle it on your own.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• correction.

someone, and take out one.. lol
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• It's part of grieving, and yes, a lot of it is mental. You're so upset that your mind focuses on what you're upset about and ignores everything else - including the need to eat.

You need to force yourself to eat. You don't have to stuff yourself, but you need to make yourself eat something. Some toast, some cereal, a little chicken soup, even.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• agree with above
    have had "i can not eat' when something terrible happens

been a few days now, and you know that you have to, so your mind is still there working fine- but grieving

so, you get whatever you know you really liked to eat before this tragedy- and eat it
    think about this food, remember how much you liked it and eat it
    does not matter if it is a whole bowl of ice cream and last week this would have been a no no on your diet
    get food into your system
    splurge and get crab legs with tons of melted butter (not in budget- screw the budget for now)
    whatever you favorite foods are

after you have some of it, you will have some more a bit later
    do not make not eating into a self punishment because you lost a loved one
    eat,you can tell yourself that you are guilty (normal grief thing) and punish yourself with something else
    you do not need punishment of course- but you are turning not eating i
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• It took me well over a week to be able to sleep or eat when my dad was killed a few years ago. I think I ate enough and slept enough to function. Food had no taste and a bad texture. When I fell asleep, I would wake up knowing something was not right and then I remember.

Sorry for your loss. One day at a time. It will get better.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'm sorry for your loss. You're grieving. See if you can take even just a few bites at a time. When my grandpa died suddenly, I felt so overwhelmed that a whole plate of food seemed like too much to handle. So I'd get a coffee saucer and put just a little bit of salad with tuna and veggies on it, something nutritious but not too much of it, and thatseemed to help.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2013