What do you think of this quote by Richard Dawkins?

agree, disagree? discuss.

i'm heading out so ill be back later to participate

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Life is NOT a dress rehearsal.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I agree. As feral has said, "Life is NOT a dress rehearsal". Perhaps if some people were more concerned with their lives NOW, instead of the ones they think is waiting for them after death, we would see more regard for humanity.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• We all have our own opinions. He is entitled to his
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I don't think that all thought of an afterlife is grounded in vanity or presumption. And not all faiths that have some concept of the afterlife entail wasting this life trying to get there. I understand that Dawkins is speaking to a truth that pertains to certain ways of belief, but I feel that many of his statements serve to distance him from others who also have issue with the fundamentalism he speaks to, yet still believe in other ways. This example is a very mild one, for sure, but I am thinking of others. By only speaking to the extreme or dogmatic I just feel people like Dawkins leave out other voices who may be able to be a beneficial part of the conversation, if you get what I mean.

For example, with this: I do think there is something after death. But my faith pertains mostly to THIS life and living it fully, maximizing relationships, etc. If it is the only life I have, that IS enough, and I won't have wasted it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Another example of the world being reduced to atheist vs Christian, and all other belief systems magically not existing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• "Another example of the world being reduced to atheist vs Christian, and all other belief systems magically not existing."

And another example of Christianity being reduced to merely the "mainstream" ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• wow...i wonder what he thinks about those who believe in reincarnation and get more than just 2 lives...

i agree with the premise that we should live this life to the fullest and that what is most important right now is right now. i disagree with his own vain and presumptuous way of assuming those who believe in an after life are vain and presumptuous. its one of the main reasons i cant stand him.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I agree, especially with the part about vain desires. I think the longing for heaven is especially narcissistic. So it makes perfect sense to me. We are all part of this world, this planet, and if we lived life like this is the only one, what miracles we could wrought.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 3:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Bandgeek always impresses me with her eloquent answers.

I think sometimes people long for the greener grass on the other side. I agree with Bandgeek that if this life is it, the grass is plenty green enough here. If there's something more to come, so much the better.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• whats up with all the dragon avatars?? ya'll are confusing me lol!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2013