Back to school clothes shopping?

Do you shop for anything when school starts? If so, how much do you typically buy?

This year I've bought my 7th grader 4 pairs of shorts, 6 shirts, new shoes, and new undies and socks because he's outgrown his old stuff.

The 3rd grader is homeschooled, so he wound up with 2 new pairs of shorts and 3 new T shirts, plus new shoes.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• I didn't really before and now that he is homeschooled I definitely don't. I just buy stuff when it goes on sale or when he grows out of his old stuff. He did get new clothes from his Nini because she likes to spoil him. He got new shoes as well because his others were falling apart. Took some convincing on the new shoes, he loved his old ones!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I usually buy a couple new outfits for the first week of school. This year I will have to buy all new clothes cause my son has outgrown everything.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• we just buy stuff whenever- I don't really do "school clothes" shopping. Never really have
    I DO usually buy my son a new pair of shoes- but otherwise, we buy stuff when we see it on sale or if they need it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• yep, dd got a pair of tennis shoes, and cowboy boots, 3 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, 10 tshirts/ blouses
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I did this year. DD has decided to change her image.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:32 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• i buy new clothes as she out grows them
    pretty set on new clothes
    got a package of undies for her when i was getting school supplies- that is about it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I did this year because last year he had a uniform, so he only had one or two nice jeans for if we went out on the weekend, the rest were holey play clothes. So this year we had to go full out on his uniform. I went to Kohls and spent $89, but I SAVED $111, and then $35 at JC Penney for his shoes, which I wish I had waited because I just got a 20% off coupon for Payless. Now this was not just for him, I also bought my 1yr old some winter clothes. I did not need to buy a new back pack or coat
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I have to buy jeans for my daughter because they can't wear shorts or capris or skirts.

They will get new shoes but really the younger two haven't begged and pleaded with me to get them a whole new wardrobe for school. It's too hot here for them to wear the clothes being sold.

I wish they wore uniforms. I find back to school shopping to be as fun as Christmas shopping. And in the big picture, equally unnecessary.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I buy them 1-2 new outfits to start school with, other than that they wear what they've been wearing all summer. I buy stuff as I see it on sale throughout the year. But I generally buy them 1-2 outfits a month anyway

Answer by missanc at 12:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• this year i learned from last year not to buy a whole bunch of clothes because she outgrew them so fast, i had to buy a few new sets mid school year. my daughter's school is uniform only anyway. so i bought 2 skirts, 2 jumpers, a dress, and i think 1 or 2 shirts since her shirts from last year will still fit. and the only reason i bought 2 of everything else is so she could have 1 set in khaki and 1 in navy blue. i also learned not to buy her shorts because she will not wear the uniform shorts lol

for my middle one who's going to pre-k i bought her 4 or 5 dresses, and the inlaws sent her a couple of dresses as well. can you tell she loves dresses?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2013