A food question for the crunchy Moms....

are some kids systems just not made for natural products? I have two kids close in age and one can eat anything fine. The other has had problems when we try new things, especially local. Last year she was 6 and got botulism from raw local honey. It was SO SCARY, she was terribly terribly sick. And yesterday she picked organic raspberries from a friends parents private garden and she was up all night long in agony with stomach cramps and vomiting. 3 others kids ate then at same time and they are fine. She also once years ago had issues from wild rice, also local. thoughts?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• how does she do with other fruits?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:28 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• absolutely fine. and raspberries from the grocery store (imported from god knows where!) are dirt cheap right now, she's been eating them all dang summer.

side note I laughed out loud at cauliflower from that list. when she was 2 and her brother was 3 she stabbed his hand with her fork for trying to take the last piece of cauliflower off the veggie platter in front of them. on her allergy testing she had done at age 5 (she is 7 now) birch tree is about the only thing that popped up. her brother has a tomato allergy that is actually getting WORSE as he's older. some horrible kid dared him to bite a pizza roll and we had to use an epi pen for the 1st time ever.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• What natural insectide did they use on the raspberries?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I think the botulism is just that. She got sick from the bacteria. That's why babies can't eat honey. The other things are unrelated altogether. I think she just may have eaten too many raspberries & the seeds were just too much to digest at once. That happened to me with blackberries from a farm stand. I just ate too many at once. Rice is also hard to digest, especially wild rice. She has a tender digestive system. Everything in moderation & I'd steer clear or honey unless you buy it from grocery store. Botulism has to do with the preparation & cleanliness of the process. So whoever made it wasn't very clean.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Ilovemypaulie: as far as the honey goes we buy whatever is on sale at Walmart now and she loves it :( i hate the poor quality of it but oh well.

she's eaten some slightly unusual foods before (sushi, polenta, lamb, brazilian stuff, plantains, ostrich) with no drama. And it's always pukes and stomach cramps, never loose stools. it's a terrible running joke now that anything cultivated within 50 miles of home makes her gag.

i have NO idea what was on the raspberries. the owners little girl eats them daily and is healthy as a horse. I will politely inquire on the insecticide. i was just told "they're organic and she can help herself"
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• the owners little girl eats them daily and is healthy as a horse

She may have a tolerance to whatever is used...Kind of like how we are warned, when traveling, "Don't drink the water" but it doesn't affect locals.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Ugh, I have ALWAYS been the same way she is. My mom used to think I was faking it. Everyone else would eat and be just fine, but I would be doubled over with cramps and things. She could just be sensitive... but there are other things as well. Have you talked to the Dr. about other diagnosis??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• My daughter got that way from cherries off a local tree once, but she'd never had a problem with them from the store. I assume she'd just eaten more of the loca cherries because of how good they tasted, but if it happened more than once the way it has to your daughter, I would have visited a doctor just in case.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• She is allergic to birch? Have you ever heard of oral allergy syndrome and cross reactivity? The basic principle is that the proteins found in certain raw foods mimics the pollen they are allergic to. If they are local raspberries, locally sourced foods she is reacting to there is a possibility that her body is recognizing similar proteins or pollen residues as birch pollen. Since the store raspberries are rarely local, she isn't as likely to have a reaction because the pollens are different, or possibly even the proteins in the raspberries (I hope this makes sense, I am getting sleepy and OAS can get confusing lol)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/oral-allergy-syndrome.aspx
    My odd's allergist now includes gastro issues as signs of a severe allergic reaction. It is worth considring and discussing with an allergist.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2013