What do I do?

We stayed at a hotel Sunday and Monday nights. I used my debit card to check in and the receptionist told me it would be charged right away. I noticed it wasn't, but there was a hold on my card though it did say the amount was for $0.00. The day we checked out I got a receipt saying my card had been charged for the amount I expected. I just checked today and not only is the hold gone, but nothing was charged. The money wasn't taken out of my account and there is no charge, processing or finalized from the hotel. I called the bank and they said nothing is showing there either. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• be patient. the hotel takes a day or 2 to make sure you didn't steal or break anything. it'll come out as soon as they're certain
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• give it a couple of days then call the bank again. we went out of state over the weekend and pre-paid for the room, it wasn't taken out until about 5 days after I paid for it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• give it 2 or 3 days then check again. For now- consider that money gone
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Def wait and do not spend the money, it should come out soon.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 11:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• It goes off, and will be put back in the morning.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Don't spend the money! It will come out!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• It will come out. In fact, since you're not even seeing the hold now, I'd bet tomorrow morning, the money will be gone.

If it doesn't come out by the beginning of next week, then I'd call the bank again, but I'm sure it'll come out within a day or two.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Ethically you call the hotel manager and explain and ask him to check the records as it appears there is a mistake and you do not want any problems with your bank.
    He is either willing to correct it or give you the nights free.
    Many will give you at least one of the nights free since you were willing to call and point out a problem that may be occurring nightly and costing them money.

The choice is yours
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I agree with Dard. Call the hotel, just to make sure there hasn't been a mistake.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Oh I should have mentioned I did call the hotel first and they said everything was charged accordingly and they're not showing any holds on anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2013