Single moms.....

Are you dating? How long do you wait to bring the person you are dating around your children?

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 12:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• No, I'm not currently dating. Generally, I wait at least 6 months. Definitely wait until it's serious. In the 10 yrs since my divorce, my kids have met 1 guy that I dated.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I will tell you that my husband and I dated for a good year, until I met his daughter, I didn't want to get attached to her, then have it not work, or feel obligated to make it work, because I cared for her.
    I think the longer you can hold off, the better, and then before you get remarried make sure your kids like him as well.
    I have never understood why women or men drag every person they date in front of the kids.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'm not dating. I would wait until the relationship is serious (ie wanting to live together or get married/engaged).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I feel the same way. I won't allow anyone to meet my children until I know its serious! I have been dating and so far this guy that I am seeing now is pretty good, but I am not ready to bring him around...not just yet!
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• No, I'm not currently dating.
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I dated my now husband for 6 months before he met my children, and by that point we knew it was very serious and were thinking marriage. He is the only man I dated that my kids met.

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I was single 11 years, my daughter met one man and I am married to him.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• im not dating, and havent dated since my husband left 2 years ago. most of the guys in my age group are looking for casual sex, not a mom with 3 kids. i agree with wendy though, i think 6 months is a good rule.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I was dating, but now I am not. I don't think there is an exact rule it just depends on how you feel. I would say that if I found a guy that I think might be pretty special I would introduce him to my son, but I would tred lightly on making your guy involved with your kids. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I see why some single moms hold off until it's serious but on the other hand, why wait until then? Don't you want to know that the guy you are falling for is good with your kids before you become too invested in the relationship? You could introduce them to the guy casually and briefly, they don't need to know you are dating him.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2013