Rock landscaping UGH

Ugh...rock landscaping SUCKS. So like 3 weeks ago-Nathan pulled weeds in front and it wasn't perfect, but it WAS pretty decent looking. Then it rained every day or most every day for a bit and now...the whole yard looks like crap- it's so thck on one side you could break out a lawn mower for it-you know...if there weren't a bunch of rocks under there. None of it is very tall - it's just a LOT of little thin stuff EVERYWHERE so it's really hard to pull out enough to even make it appear that you gave an effort. I bought a torch so we could maybe burn it- but the stupid thing keeps going out when I hold it at an agle to light the stuff. SO frustrating. I'm sure we will hear about how homeowners is bitchig at the rental company soon if I can't figure out how to get rid of them. I also sprayed bleach on them about 2 weeks ago...but it rained a couple hours later so...yeah

*not so much a question- as a vent *I just spent a good half hour pulling the damn things-then gave up

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 1:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I use "Round Up" weed killer & it works even if you apply it before it rains. Try that! Prevents weeds from coming up again too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• LOL, I completely understand. I have a drop off off of my patio out back... I though it would be really cool to line it with various rocks. Now it just seems to be weed trap. You can borrow my dog... he thinks its fun to pull the weeds... Maybe he was a gardener in his past life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Yes, roundup is great. Follow with a pre-emergent to keep new weeds from going up.

Did the landscaper put any visqueen under the rocks first? That's what we have in our orchard. It's not weed-free, but nowhere near as bad as it would be without. Visqueen is just a layer of plastic laid straight on the dirt, and the rocks get spread over it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Yeah, Round Up will kill pretty much anything, even those awful goathead sticker weeds.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I feel your pain I have had a never ending battle with weeds on my rock ledge for 14 years. I finally got ticked a just threw wild flowers seeds on it.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I've tried weed killer before and it didn't do much...

round up is good then?
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Did the landscaper put any visqueen under the rocks first? That's what we have in our orchard. It's not weed-free, but nowhere near as bad as it would be without. Visqueen is just a layer of plastic laid straight on the dirt, and the rocks get spread over it.
    ******
    I think it just has that fabric stuff...or maybe plastic? either way- that stuff only works a couple years at best then the weeds grow through it anyway.
    We are renting ad this house is probably...5 yrs old or something- this part of the neighborhood isn't even finished...we have a patch of desert next to us and across the street

weeds are ALWAYS a problem in rock yards ( had many of them-due to living in Phx, Vegas and here in New Mexico)
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• round up is amazing, just make sure you do it on a day it isn't raining, they won't come back, (until next year). Did you not put the black cloth down before you laid the rocks? I am sure round up will be easier than moving the rocks to lay down the tarp.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

********

YES- there is that stupic cloth crap under there- but it only works for a couple years before they grow through it anyway... this house was built probably about 5 or so years ago and I know they put that stuff down before the rocks * also you can see it in spots
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2013