Reagan's Presidency

so ive been debating asking this for a while b/c im not sure how it will be received. i learned a lot of modern US History stuff this summer and im a little confused as to why Reagan is beloved so much. i mean, during the primaries, the conservative talking heads are always wishing they had another Reagan, but from my texts the guy doesnt really live up to the hype. other than being a good speaker and ending welfare programs, what did he do to get this god-like status in the GOP?

i like to think my text is pretty equal in terms of political parties b/c he was fairly unbiased about every president, pointing out flaws and greatness for all of them (except Bush Jr). its just...Reagan came off less than i expected for someone who is usually listed as one of our greater presidents. what am i missing?

ETA: i was really looking forward to reading about Reagan based on all the things that are said about him...how wonderful he was, how he was a savior to the GOP, how ppl to this day love him (like my parents), and b/c he was president when i was born. but nothing stuck out in my text book, so i did some basic research online and didnt find much of anything there either. WHAT AM I MISSING?!

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• what did he do to get this god-like status in the GOP? 

Kings Row

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• "Morning in America." Return of the hostages from Iran on the day he was inaugurated. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

Ronald Reagan made Americans feel pretty damned good about themselves after some really bad years. But not everyone bought into the message.

Still, it should also be noted that he worked across parties. It was an era when Republicans and Democrats could leave Capitol Hill for drinks and not get blasted by constituents for "fraternizing with the enemy." If we actually did get another Reagan, he wouldn't survive the Iowa Caususes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• i had to look up Kings Row...it didnt ring a bell...i guess acting makes you a great president? haha

the hostages thing had nothing to do with Reagan...that was a big middle finger to Carter. but i guess ppl then saw it differently. and Gorbachev wanted to change the way things worked in the USSR...i read a bio on him and he did most of the work, not Reagan. and you would think working across party lines would be a big black mark on him now-a-days...since they all refuse to do that.

is it really just an image thing? things Reagan lucked out on reflected positively on his image, so now he's remembered as being the doer of those things? its kinda disheartening...
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• All politics is image. Yes, I do know the things you cited. I lived through the Reagan years. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Mr. Reagan was a champion of smaller government, and he was able to get many cuts made it that department. Having barely survived the Carter years as a small business owner, I personally benefitted from the tax cuts that were made during the Reagan years. My family and many others who were forced to live in poverty during the Carter administration were and always will be extremely grateful for the positive changes that were made when Mr. Reagan was in the Oval Office. History is being rewritten to fit a liberal agenda, and it is such a pity for those who were not around to experience the difference for themselves. Those of us who were will never be sold the bill of goods that is being propagandized today. I guess experience is still the very best teacher! And just for the record, the economic situation for small businesses is worse today than it was under Mr. Carter, and that is really saying something!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• ^^^Wow! VERY Well Said NannyB.! I agree 100%.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• gdiamante, sorry, i didnt mean to imply you didnt know those things. im just trying to work this around in my head. :)

NannyB, Reagan put us into the largest debt we had ever seen at the time in order to get the economy turned around...i thought that was something Conservatives and small govt ppl frowned on? his entitlement program cuts didnt outweigh his extreme military budget increases.

the first edition of this book was written in 93 and the author has been pretty kind to all presidents (even Carter) and tough on all presidents (even JFK). the only time i questioned his stance was on Bush Jr as its too soon to look at him without bias imo.

so...because the economy was so much better than it was under Carter and Reagan had better luck with International matters, he's in the top 10? I'm just not seeing it. he was good, i dont doubt that, but I'm not seeing the legendary Gipper that the GOP raves about.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• does Reagan's appeal have to do with his getting the evangelicals involved with politics and helping create the Religious Right as a political force?
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Look at the presidents before Reagan, Nixon, ford, Carter.... To many, he was an open , friendly, romantic figure.... As with many leaders, their actual politics didn't matter to a lot of people... He was a charismatic, open, friendly, approachable figure head. It was such an uplifting time to feel great about being an American behind a president who had a movie star quality heroic love of his fellow Americans... It s like having john Wayne or Clint Eastwood lead the charge!!! Emotionalism goes a long way
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• A lot of why people love their leaders, unfortunately, isn't because of their acomplishments. It's their media image. Reagan was a good speaker. There hadn't been an eloquent man in the White House for a while. It was the same with Clinton, and after him, Bush Jr. seemed even more like an oaf.

I was in elementary school when Reagan was elected, and I remember vividly how much my parents hated him. I've grown up to think that devils and angels belong in the church, and most of us ordinary humans fall somewhere in between.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2013