Creationist explains why dragons are actually real creatures

“The Bible speaks about dragons,” Darek Isaacs, author of the book Dragons or Dinosaurs, said on the program Creation Today earlier this year. “Our authority — everything we do we have to measure by the word of God, that is what I believe. So, we have to go to the Bible, and the Bible speaks about dragons.”

He remarked that both the Old and New Testaments compared Satan and other evil creatures to dragons.

Isaacs’ book argues that various ancient myths about dragons were actually based on human’s experiences with dinosaurs. As a young Earth creationist, Isaacs believes humans and dinosaurs coexisted, since both came into existence at the same time about 6,000 years ago.

“If dragons in fact were entirely mythological, if they were a figment of the imagination, and if they never ever did exist, then God just compared our adversary to a make-believe creature that never existed,” he said.

Do you believe in dragons?  

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ummm,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Wonder if the biblical references to Dragons were simply the closest/easiest translation....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I do not believe we lived with dinosaurs (because I'm not an idiot and I understand how geology works)
    I do not believe that dinosaurs were dragons

I do, however, believe it's entirely possible that back when there was a lot more volcanic and seismic activity going on, it's plausible dinosaur fossils could have been unearthed, discovered by primative man, and based solely on the size of pieces found, given rise to stories of gigantic powerful creatures that would evolve into the dragons (and lochness monsters and sasquatches) of oral tradition.

Imagine looking for some berries in the woods, coming up to a ravine, and seeing a 4' skull or some teeth longer than your hand embedded in the rock...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• do not interfere in the affairs of dragons. for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Dinosaurs 6,000 years ago
    Lol
    Funny stuff
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I know some new earthers. I gave up arguing with them long ago.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• while i think the guy sounds like a doofus...i mean dinos 6,000 years ago, really?!...i think there is a possibility that ppl confused dragons with dino's. i think NP's post sums it up pretty well. dragons are mentioned across cultures, so theres bound to be some connection between dragons and dinosaurs...just not the one this guy came up with.

Leviathan are mentioned in the Bible and those were probably confused with dino skeletons as well. unless of course, your a Supernatural fan...then you'd know the truth about Leviathans! haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• From what I understand, dragons were "invented" when people found partial dinosaur fossils... Similarly, fossils are believed by some to be responsible for much of the myths we see - like giants and other "beasts."

So I don't think that the *belief* in dragons in the conscience of lesser educated societies or minds is proof that they actually existed, haha.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Kind of like how unicorns, in the Bible, refer to a kind of wild buffalo or bison that had died out - pictures showed a profile, so that only one horn was shown, earning the creatures a name (nickname) like "one horn." Greek translators simply said "unicorn." Some mistook rhinos to be the animal the passages were referring to, and many were killed because the horns were believed to be magical. But later the perception of the "unicorn" horn changed (to a spiral kind, like we see in art depicting unicorns today), and narwhal horns (teeth) replaced the rhino horn in importance. The narwhal horn is probably where we get the unicorn horn from, in art, but the history points to it being the bison, and not a mythological creature, being referred to in the text ;)
    bandgeek521

• oh right, because the bible says so.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2013