Does your work understand when you get sick & need time off?

The cold & flu season hasn't even started yet, & I've been running into people who are sick & still come to work. I wish they'd stay home b/c I really don't want to get sick, nor do I want to give it to my family.

I understand not everyone gets paid sick days (which is a shame), but I have to wonder if people are afraid of losing their jobs for calling in sick. Which would also be a shame.

So how is it where you work?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• I work from home, and travel, so the awful thing is when I am sick and on the road, I most of the time have to go, I have had to miss once because of the flu, and it wasn't pretty.
    On Monday I will be in Denver for 4 days, if I had to miss, I would most likely lose my job, unless I had some kind of hospital thing involved. I only get paid when I do work, so I wouldn't be paid for the time on the road, but at the same time have the freedom to NOT go when I have things going on.
    When I am consulting via the phone, I can or my kids can be puny and no one is the wiser. LOL!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• at walmart you get so many days (don't remember - not a lot) and can only be out for 3 in a row at a time
    all of my jobs have ben -if you miss work you don't get paid

hubby has a lot- he gets hours every check and often has to burn up the days because he has so much time he can take...he works for Intel
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'm salaried. I get paid no matter what. Regardless, I'm not staying home with a cold. I"ll wear a mask but I"m not losing that work time. Things get too bogged down.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Yup... I get 13 days - 10 sick, 3 personal. But if it's 5 days in a row I have to have a dr's note.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I work for myself and set my own hours, so if I'm sick, I can rest as needed. But I'll have to make up the work sometime, so usually after I get well, life's really hectic while I catch up on deadlines, get my house back in order, and spend time with my daughter, who usually wants Mom back in a big way by then.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• One of my jobs, there is no calling in, if I'm too sick to work I have to call and pay my sub. The other job yes, because it's a small business owned by someone my age who gets that moms get sick too- and considering its a bakery it's "illegal" for us to work if we're sick.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I am salaried so I get paid for sick time. Anything longer than 3 days you need a doctors note.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Not when they make you sick and also expect you to work when you are sick.

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• At my job we earn sick leave and those of us who have been there so long have over a year of sick leave time. But we still come to work sick, not cause we are afraid of losing our job but because we are afraid of falling further behind in our work. :-(
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• No not health field just IT job with sick leave , you could be dead and they will still want you to come in. This is a a case of corporate big business use you in every way they can, like so many other things.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2013