Is it appropriate to call 911 when you see people fighting in the street?

Or would a different non-emergency number need to be called?

Like screaming profanity- a domestic disturbance.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Technology

• If you saw weapons & felt someone was really going to get hurt I'd say yes.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• If it's an actual domestic disturbance, like a couple, yes, call 911. I had neighbors once that were just yelling at each other, I called 911 and before the operator finished asking what the emergency was, he'd started beating the crap out of his girlfriend. It can escalate quickly, so I'd call 911.

If it's something like two men or two women...I don't know. If you think they might actually come to blows, I'd probably call 911. But if you think they're just going to keep screaming at each other, then I'd look up the non emergency number and call that and explain what's happening.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'd do it. Once the yelling starts, you never know what will happen next. It could escalate in a split second, so why not have police in route. I'd call.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I say of course, you have no idea if they are going to shoot each other, go crazy on a child.

I wondered the other day when I was driving down the highway, and almost ran into a huge couch, I guess that fell off of someone's truck, who to call, I ended up dialing 911, because if there had been traffic I would have had to have hit it going 70 mph.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I would call 911. You ever know what will happen from one second to the next in domestic disturbances.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I would and have done it. You never know when a situation will escalate quickly and emergency action needs to be taken before someone gets seriously injured. Better safe than sorry in this case.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I would call. Besides what others have said, you never know if there are kids in that house who are scared and having to listen to the adults go crazy. If there are kids, they need to know someone is looking out for them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• If it's just screaming, you don't see any weapons, and it doesn't look violent, then call the non-emergency number. I have called the non-emergency number on my neighbors a couple times (different ones). Both times, I told them what was going on and they sent an officer out right away. 1 of the times the lady that answered said it wasn't the 1st call she got that night about the same person.

If you suspect there are guns or if a child is near and you think there may be danger, then by all means, call 911. Just don't call 911 because you are out of beer.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• If it sounded heated enough for me to question it I would go ahead and call.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Why would I call 911 for beer?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2013