How long to finish up brats in the microwave?

Apparently it is just too windy for the grill as it went out. Brats were not pre-cooked and were being cooked low on the grill. Can I cook them in the microwave and if so, for how long?
How do I tell when they are done?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 7:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Food & Drink

• You can broil or pan fry them. I'm not sure how long you'd need to keep them in the microwave, or how they'd even turn out.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I usually boil my brats for 45 minutes, then put them on the grill for five minutes. Depending on how long they've already cooked, you might try that --and the last five minutes, fry them in the pan to brown them.
    NearSeattleMom

Answer by NearSeattleMom at 7:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Lol I actually like them pan fried better because I can get them more crispy on the outside. My kids look at me weird but I love them that way
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Pan frying is an excellent idea! So, I went to pull them off the grill and put them in the frying pan but I noticed that the grill is going and the brats have been cooking. I turned them and moved them a little bit. I will give them some more time.

This is my 1st time cooking on a charcoal grill. Normally I leave the grilling to my man but I was hungry for grilled brats and he is an hr away.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• My parents always boiled the brats in beer for about 30 min then grilled them for a few minutes. That's what I always did too. Until I met my SO. He didn't boil them at all, just grilled them on low for about an hr. I couldn't believe the difference in taste. Since then, my parents made beer brats and invited me over. They were not nearly as good. Now I either buy pre-cooked or just have him cook them on the grill longer. No more boiling for me:-)

Thanks for the advice though.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Just curious.....is anyone that answered from Wisconsin?
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Broiling gets them nice and crispy, pretty much like pan frying.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• We always put them right on the grill. A couple times I had to nuke them for just a couple minutes to make sure they were cooked completely through, not more than 5.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2013