For all the single moms out there (past or present): What was your latest... adult content

...."I don't NEED a man" moment?

I've been a single mom for going on 4 yrs. Yes, I have a boyfriend that I've been with for almost 3 yrs but he lives an hr away and we only see each other on the weekends so there are still a lot of things that I'm on my own for.

I moved out of my parents house, into my boyfriend's apartment and later married him. This is the 1st time I've been out on my own. My road to recovery after my divorce was full of revelations of what I can do myself that I don't need a man for.

The latest for me was mowing my lawn. I've never done that before. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself but I wish I had picked a day that it wasn't 105 degrees outside.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 8:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Just for Fun

• you rock Mowing the lawn would be a big deal for me too.  Esp. since I'm alergic! :p  I've been w/ my husb. for 18 yrs now, so it's been a while since I've had one of those moments.  It is pretty liberating tho.  Enjoy your new found freedoms & numerous accomplishments yet to come :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I had to get up on my roof and sweep all the damn pine needles off the other day! This weekend I get to cut down 4 baby trees that are threatening to kill my two grown trees by strangling their roots. That is going to be fun. I don't need no stinking man! LOL
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• but when it comes to bugs...

That's what my son is for!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• i do the yard completely by myself. i mow it, edge it, trim it, clean up the branches, spray for/pull out weeds, and tend the garden. fuck men!

but when it comes to bugs...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• i dont have a son, and my girls and i are all a bunch of sissies when it comes to bugs, but i have cats!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Hey, good for you, Temp!

I'm not a single mom, but I also never lived on my own till after my divorce, when I was thirty. I remember that first year, I was worried about so many things I didn't know if I could do myself. Silly maybe, but the biggest ones were handing out Halloween candy to trick-or-treaters and setting up and decorating a Christmas tree, which I thought would look goofy. I did them both, and I ended up enjoying having my own space and time.

My grandma got divorced in 1967, when it was still socially frowned upon. I asked her twenty-some years later if she'd ever thought about getting remarried. She said, "No way! The only time I ever missed having a man was when something broke around the house, and your dad takes care of all the repairs now."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I can say I have never mowed the lawn. When I was single I lived in a townhouse so no yard work. But I learned to fix cabinet doors and unclog toilets!

Answer by missanc at 9:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I am not single now, but I wouldn't say there is much of anything that I need a man for. I don't NEED my husband I WANT him though.

Growing up the way I did my mother made sure that I was self sufficient. I can repair a car(I've repaired alternators, starters, oil change, tires(even putting new tires on the rim with a tire machine) by myself and I have helped to change out an entire engine in a truck. Have repaired the heater in my mothers house and always did yard work.

Now that I am married I may not have to do everything but I can if I want to. It is more difficult now with my health issues, but I am confident that if something was to happen and I didn't have my husband tomorrow I would survive just fine.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Woot Woot way to go!! My mom has been a single mom most of my childhood and I have not had great men in my life so I just kind of followed in my moms foot steps. I had this couple from Peru staying here and I bought a hanging unit for my mop, brooms and other things I could hang on it well the guy said he would install it but the half hour of him just wondering around was just to long so I did it myself and had it done within 15 minutes. The face he gave me when I came out and said "All done" was priceless. Even though I have been doing the "manly" things around my place for a very long time I do still get a thrill out of doing something new. That feeling of accomplishment when looking at the finished product. :)
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• There were many things that I did by myself even when I was married, but I was surprised by the amount of things I relied on a man for. I finally got to the point where I don't need a man in my life. But, boy oh boy, do I want one. And it's not just that I miss being married. I truly am in love with my SO. He is my best friend and we make an awesome team. I know that when we get married, I won't have to give up my freedom. I will still be me, still be free to do what I want, but I will have him by my side.

But when it comes to bugs....I will forever need someone else to do that. Little spiders, I can handle. Other than that, I'm a big baby.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2013