• In the Spotlight:

Own Your Own Business: Call or Email?

When you have to contact people, do you email or call? Or does it depend on the situation?

It isn't that I have a problem calling, but sometimes it is so much quieter, quicker, and easier to email.

Just curious how you do it? :)

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on what you are talking about. What you have to think of is what is best for your customer and therefore your business. If there is question on my order, I would want to talk it through.
    If it is an invoice, I am fine with an wmail. Most of the companies I deal with do both.
    I suppose it also depends on the type of business.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• It really depends on the situation. If I need an answer right now, I call. If it's something that can wait or I want them to think about it, I will email. What time it is also dictates this. If it is between the hours of 10 pm and 8 am, I will send an email as a general rule.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't convey tone in an email. Sometimes things are taken the wrong way because you can't hear someone's tone of voice in an email.

Sometimes I type up what I want to say to someone as that way I can edit it, but then I end up calling them and refer to what I typed up.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• We do almost everything via email or Skype - usually Skype. That way if something needs more explanation, we can click the call button, but most of it can be dealt with in chat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I think it depends air on the business, but also the situation. With DH's business, there are some things that cannot be done by phone, and there are quick questions that need immediately answers so a call is better. Same with my boss, when someone orders a cake, it's so much easier to ask all the questions on the phone, but if they have an elaborate design or trouble articulating it, it's easier to email.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I have to contact all of my area and surrounding area schools on their yearly fundraising.. Including all of their team coaches and individual schools (elementary, middle, & high)..

I was just thinking it'd save a lot of time on both my end and their end.. If they have questions I have no problem calling.. I just seem to get more emails than I do phone calls..

***My services are Free and I don't ask for money, I'm here to help them get their yearly fundraising goals met! ( I add this because when I brought it up on my Facebook to friends I was told that I was rude to call people and ask for money :| )
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• o on calling and emails, try letting others know what you do in person. I hate emails and calls. I go to chamber meetings and network and exchange business cards. people are more interested when they can see or hear about what you do, and I always ask if they want me to call them or they can call me. Works every time. No selling just explain your product and talent. PS Most do not have the time for emails and never read them and end up in junk. Calls, hard to tell when is a good time to call
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I do not have the time to attend meetings or things like that. Because I know meetings are best, but schools are the only thing I work with locally, the rest are in other states. Like I work with 5 animal shelters from 4-5 states away from me..
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Both.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I usually prefer to e-mail instead of calling, but it also depends on what my client wants. If there are explicit guidelines for formatting and the like to follow, I'd rather have an e-mail I can refer back to, or I'll take notes if I Get a phone call instead. In your case, if you have a basic e-mail you could send out as a starting point, I don't think that would hurt anything. Invite people to call you or e-mail you back with questions, and let them decide what medium and what time is most convenient. If it doesn't work out well, you can try something differen next year or next semester.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I don't have a business, per se, but for my work, I do often need to talk to people for research purposes. I generally prefer to email, mainly because it allows me to put all my questions out where I can see them and make sure I don't forget anything, and also because it allows them to answer me on their schedule, rather than feeling that they need to drop everything to talk to me on the phone right now. I usually include a line in the email to the effect of "I've included my questions so you may answer them at your convenience, but if you'd prefer to handle this by phone, please feel free to let me know and give me a good time to call you. I'd be happy to call you for this."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2013