Anyone ever dealt with this before? dr question

when i took our oldest to the drs, she was complaining of a headache. she told the dr that she gets them a lot. and i mean everyday all day a lot. i've been giving her 1 of my extra strength headache pills (non-aspirin) a day just so she can sleep. the dr is going to refer to a neurologist to check her out. her daddy asked me to ask about epilepsy and i did.

here's the thing, she's been dealing with this for the past three years, we've told all the drs she went to see (they were in a clinic so they didn't have a set dr). now that medicare switched us the drs are finally listening to me!

here's the question: has anyone ever been to one of them drs? if so what's should my daughter expect or can prepare for?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My son used to get headaches every day. They switched his meds and all was well.

I've never been to a neurologist nor have my kids. But here is a bump.

Hope everything goes well and they can stop the daily headaches.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• this is the first dr to actually talk to her about the headaches or even acknowledge them. she's kinda worried, but she puts up a good front, like it's no big deal.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• My daughter got tested because she had a bad headache, which was probably a migraine, at age four. The tests included a CT scan and some vision and coordination checks. I don't know if there will be more to it, but that was what we experienced.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Good luck to you
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Hope everything goes well, good luck
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I went to a neurologist for migraines, they did a MRI to be sure there wasn't anything serious causing them. Then they have me meds to take as needed (maxalt). They did some other stuff too because I was there for more than just the migraines, but that was it for the migraine related part.

Answer by missanc at 10:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• My youngest regularly sees a neurologist because he has epilepsy. He also had really bad headaches, the kind you could see on his face before he could tell you. The neurologist did a neurological exam (like follow my finger and a whole bunch of other stuff) and asked a boatload of questions. He had already had an MRI and EEG, so they didn't need a second one of those. He called them migraines based off of what I was describing and the rest of the neuro testing.

Another thing to think about it her eyesight. My DD always gets nasty headaches when her eyesight changes.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I have scoliosis. They classify it as severe, I say it is manageable.
    I had bad migraines as in drop you to the floor, no muscle control headaches. It was all in my head for a good number of doctors
    At 15 I had a small injury near my spine. I went to a neurologist. He examined my spine and diagnosed the scoliosis. He did some motor tests and talked with me a lot. He then did a few other tests. We worked together for about a year, trying different thing, removing certain foods, no quick jumps in temperature. Nothing was working. I could count on a minimum of three each and every week. That week I had five one day after another. I was rushed by taxi to his office. While I waited for the taxi, I went from a very hot room to December cold outside, a chocolate bar and a coca cola in hand All nonos. My symptoms were gone before I hit the office.
    The did some more tests and scans and we started making headway.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I do not suggest this method

We worked obreathing and stress reduction techniques. We worked on certain stretches and puls to lengthen my back for a moment.
    The point is that they will work to find the cause. For me the blood vessels became restricted for a second or tow but my brain could not deal with the lack and shut down to conserve. I hope they will find some and swers for you. I do not think I would give him any more of your pills until he has seen the doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• My son and I both have been to a Neurologist. They will more than likely do an MRI to rule out anything that shouldn't be in her brain to cause the headaches. Migraines can not be seen on an MRI or anything else. The Neurologist will look at the scan and determine what else can be done. It is NOT normal to have headaches for years with no relief.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2013