This is a school question

who do you contact first when you know your child is going to be absent from school?

my kids have major sinus problems, depending on the weather they make wake-up in the middle of the night throwing up. no fever just throwing up mucus. i have to keep them home because of it though. i send an email to the teacher soon as can, i'll send one to the nurse then in the morning i'll call the school to make sure the office knows.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• most schools have an attendance line. that's the only means of communication i use when reporting my child's absence.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Our school has a dedicated attendance line. You have to call it the morning of or it doesn't count as reported.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• office

and if they will be out like 2 or 3 days- I would try to get their work from the teacher
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• You call the office

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Ours you have to send a note in to the teacher the day they come back. If it is an extended absence you can call the school, but if you don't send a note in, they tend to forget.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• If I know in advance I call the school's receptionist, otherwise I just use the attendance line.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• We are suppoesd to call the office... they tell everyone else.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• I'm new at this, so I'm guessing the dedicated attendance line is a voice mailbox. The school has already sent out a couple of letters telling parents that if their kids have more than ten absences in a year, the kids are considered truant and it will be reported. And three tardies add up to one absence. Seems fair to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• If it's planned, their teacher. If not, the school Secretary.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• We called the school office secretary.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2013