Can I get pregnant without having a period?

I was on birth control for almost two years the first 18 months I was on the depo and the last 6 months I have been on the mini pill. I just recently this past month quit taking my birth control now that my son is 2 and my daughter 4 .. I haven't had a period in I don't know how long.. Can I get pregnant? and if so how would I know when the right time was... like ovulating ?

SBryant1114

Asked by SBryant1114 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Pregnancy

• When was you last GYN apt?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Sounds like a fantastic question for your physician!!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• my OBGYN says that after pregnancy we ovulate before we have our period. so if you dont have a period you arent ovulating, which usually means menopause. put if you're too young for that its probably something you need to see a dr. about...cause thats the extent of my knowledge haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Yes. In fact, you might be pregnant right now!

Pick up a copy of Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler. Required reading for everyone with a female reproductive system. :-)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Thank you ! I was just telling my husband that I might need to just go in and talk to our midwife... I'm thinking that's what I'll do. Thank you (:
    SBryant1114

Comment by SBryant1114 (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Okmanders, we were wondering the same thing... are we pregnant? Because my midwife told me that after I quit breastfeeding and quit taking my pill I'd have a period.. well I was on the mini pill which is super touchy.. if you miss it within hours it isn't effective and can lead to pregnancy.. So when I purposely quit taking it last month and started "trying" i have found that in fact I haven't had a period
    SBryant1114

Comment by SBryant1114 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I had an appointment to start the mini pill... probably 4 or 5 months ago
    SBryant1114

Comment by SBryant1114 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• It sometimes takes awhile for periods to get regular after you come off of hormonal birth control.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• If y ou want to know if you're ovulating, head for http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ and learn how to track your cycle and pinpoint ovulation.

As a period is a "reaction" to ovulation (and not the opposite) I'd wonder whether you're ovulating at all. You're aware that the minipill doesn't stop you ovulating like the regular pill does, aren't you? so the fact that you haven't had a period in a long time is a little surprising.

My advice is to try to track your cycle for two-three months and if you have proof of not ovulating then make an appointment to see your doc.

Good luck!

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Yes,you can actually

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2013