pierce or no pierce?

My daughter will be 3 soon. Lately, she's taken a lot of interest in my earrings. "I want that," she'll say as she touches my earlobes. I was planning to wait until she was 8 or so, but it's tempting...does anyone do that at this age? I 'm afraid it'll scare her! We've done the stick-on, but now her lil' bro eats them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 4 and she loves the stick on kind but has no desire to have her ears pierced til she's older. Alot of people get it done when their kids are tiny. I personally want to wait til she's old enough to make up her own mind about them.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had my done as a baby and I did my daughters at the age of one. Just do it. I would not wait till shes older. I older they get, the more they want to play with them.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'd say wait and let her make the decision when she is old enough to decide.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I shouldve gotten my daughters ears pierced when she was born.. now she's 3 and I'm gonna wait because she'll probably try to pull them out.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• im going to do what my parents did.wait till i ask for it. i can't stand to see little babies with there ears done (even though its less tramatic when there younger) but what if your child is one of those people whom have no desire to have there ears done but you went ahead and did it anyways? my parents waited till i asked them over and over again. my mom took me to whatch somone get it done and then made me wait a few more days to decide if i really wanted it done. i did and i love my ears in fact i got them done twice (not at the same time)...but this is up to you and your SO-
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• well, i got mine when i was a baby........ i pirced my daughters ears when she was one month old...... and it is true that the smaller they are, the less traumatic..... for example my baby girl just cried for like 2 seconds because she got scared not because it hurt........and at the age of three it is still a pretty good age to do it.....
    Anonymous

• I had my girls' done when they were 14 months old and it went great. Call ahead and make sure they have two peicers on hand so they can do both ears at the same time. I used to peirce at Claire's Boutique and with out fail whenever we did a toddler alone we would get one ear done and they wouldn't let us do the other ear. Also, take a favorite stuffed animal with you and be prepared to take her for ice cream or some other treat afterwards.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Anon, how could you possibly know that she didn't feel the pain??

OP: My daughter is close to 3 and I'm dying to get hers done too. I'm going to wait until she can ask me for them. I want her to understand that there's some pain involved.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I just got my DD's done on Valentine's day! It was her present. She is only 3 1/2 months old, she cried for maybe 20 seconds, then was fine for the rest of the day.
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 10:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• We had our daughter's done when she was 8wks old, the soonest they will do them where we live. I was a bit leary but my husband really wanted to get them done. I figured my boys are circumsized, why not mutilate the daughter too! (not really but that's what these discussions come too, earrings being "mutilation" if they weren't asked for)
    Anonymous