Have any of you ever had Mono?

What are the symptoms and how is it spread?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Health

• thankfully, NO! The symptoms are flu like and it is spread through saliva, that's why it is called the "kissing disease". Google is your friend, use it.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Yup google
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Swapping spit can spread it, it leaves you worn down with flu like symptoms.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• No, but my sister did when we were little.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• my daughter did- in her Freshman or Sophomore year in high school, we assume it was from shaaring drinks with friends. She was tired a lot mostly, and had some flue-ish symptoms
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I did in college. It started with tiredness and a really bad sore throat. I went to the dr thinking I had strep. They do a blood test to check for it. They put you on steroids to build up your system to fight it.

The tiredness lasted about a month. I had to go in for blood work 2 or 3 times to make sure my liver wasn't affected.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• My daughter did in high school and several times after, including during her pregnancy. it is a virus that makes you extremely tired and can give u flu like symptoms; sore throat, fever, chills, swollen toncills. it can also cause your spleen
    to enlarge so you need to avoid high contact activities ie sports. Once you have it the virus will remain in your system and can become active if you get worn down and stressed out- as that taxes your immune system. You are contagious right before and during symptoms. You pass it by sharing the virus orally, most of the time. That means kissing, sharing food, sharing silverware etc. You need lots of rest and nutritional support to recover. Not all who are exsposed will contract it because their immune system might be strong enough to fight it off. It usually is easier to get when you are burnig the candle at both ends. There is an easy blood test you should be able to get from your doc.
    heartofawarrior

Answer by heartofawarrior at 11:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• My roommate in college had it. For a couple of weeks, she could barely make it from the couch to the kitchen without getting worn out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2013