UK tv vs US tv adult content

British tv has more nudity and 4 letter words during prime time, and their main channels are all government run - it's basically like having 3 PBS channels.  They have others that are commercial and/or cable, but all with the same rules. This is typical of what you might see at night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIEZCRjR_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2iFHPYtWl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHu3WzXGy4  

This is normal tv fare.  Entire generations of Brits don't grow up derranged sex addicts or violent lunatics, so why is th US so prudish?  Obviously, you don't HAVE to have these things, but specifically looking at the 3rd example - that's primarily a medical show, and half of the opening credits alone would have to be pixelated for US tv.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Entertainment

• This is why I much prefer British TV to American. It's smart entertainment that doesn't appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I'm not sure why we're such prudes but, to be honest, America is always fifty steps behind Europe with regard to so many things. And in 2013, we as a country have to make a conscious decision to do so.

Why it's appealing to be backward and in the dark, intellectually, is beyond me.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Puritanical belief system coupled with "Family Values".
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• its probably b/c they dont have a large group of (usually religious) morons boycotting and bitching every time a non-cable channel shows anything not PG. "my little angel could be awake at 9 pm and watch this filthy show! think of the children!!" nevermind your brat shouldnt be watching TV without you...sorry...tangent approaching. anyways, DH and i never even realized the difference until we watched Torchwood and Mighty Boosh a few years ago...it was shocking, not so much cause we care but cause we werent use to it.

and im totally gonna bookmark that third show...it looks awesome! i hope its all available online!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• i hope its all available online!

Most of them should be on YouTube, but honestly, I don't think I've made it entirely through a full episode. There's always something I can't deal with (I'd never make it as a nurse - I don't do well with festering, oozing, etc)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

Which a lot of people won't understand. Their kids aren't raised in a culture where the body is taboo. Like feral said, "the moral majority" seem to be in charge and they are mostly prudes.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:35 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• "Which a lot of people won't understand. Their kids aren't raised in a culture where the body is taboo. Like feral said, "the moral majority" seem to be in charge and they are mostly prudes."

That and the prudish mentality warps sexuality to where it exists here in the two extremes. You don't find that in less "puritanical" or religiously driven countries. Other countries seem to have a healthier grasp on things like sexuality and nudity and all that. Here it's either repressed or OVER sexualized.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• "You don't find that in less "puritanical" or religiously driven countries."

Wanted to clarify - there are prudes and freaks everywhere, but I was referring more toward a general consciousness of society, if you get what I mean.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• That and the prudish mentality warps sexuality to where it exists here in the two extremes.

On a related note, though this might warrant a question of its own - Kraft has done an entire second series of Zesty guy ads as a direct response to One Million Moms' boycott - they say all the extra attention it got from them has people begging for more chances to drool over the guy.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• There is clearly a large segment of the US population that craves smart entertainment. Unfortunately, we rarely get it and when we do it's often cancelled fairly quickly.

I guess that the large segment isn't large enough yet.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• "On a related note, though this might warrant a question of its own - Kraft has done an entire second series of Zesty guy ads as a direct response to One Million Moms' boycott - they say all the extra attention it got from them has people begging for more chances to drool over the guy."

lol, I think we've seen people posting some of the pics here in Answers recently.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2013