HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!!!

What if I don't want to have a blessed day?  Maybe I want to have a good, nice or great day.

When you say that. Do you even know if I am religious? Why don't you say something more generic. "Have a nice day"  Then putting your religion into it.

Asked by louise2 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• That bugs the shit out of me.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I would just say "thank you" and move on. Probably not worth getting upset about
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• It wouldn't bother me as much as if someone said "hope you day is crappy".
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Be blessed babe !! * snicker*

:)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I didn't say it and it is not one that I generally do, but I am not a generic person and I will speak from my base and my feelings. Therefore, I say merry Christmas for the most part, I will say have a joyous Easter I rarely same happy holidays because that is not who I am. I get to express myself the way I want to express myself.

The people who have said have a blessed day have almost invariably been wiccan. If that is who they are and what they wish for me, I am good with it. As long as they are wishing me well, I will take it in the spirit it was given and be happy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2013

• well it doesnt have to have a religious connotation to it. it can also be meant as bringing pleasure, contentment or good fortune. i have a neighbor that, whenever i catch him outside, always tells me "god bless you" after we finish a brief conversation. sure, it's presumptuous of him to assume i believe in god (and i dont as you know) but i know he means well so i just say thanks and go about my day. NBD.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I'm in the south now and I hear it all.the.time. Being a native NYer, it confused me at first lol. What is this "blessed day" business all about?? Surely its a "christian" thang.

However, going through some things recently that have changed my life forever, and being in the south for 13 years now-I find it endearing for the most part. Are there times when it can be said in a condescending way? Absolutely. But I haven't had a lot of that from my friends down here.
    I've even gotten to saying how some things are a "blessing" in my life. And I am an atheist. Blessing doesn't =religious or godly, IMO.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I guess I try to take things in the spirit with which I think they were intended. I'd rather hear "Have a blessed day" from someone who sincerely means it than "God bless you" or "Blessings" or "Bless your heart" from someone who really means "Kiss my ass."

On a side note, my mom used to wear a button sometimes that said, "Don't tel me what kind of a day to have!" She'd flash it at cashiers who automatically said, "Have a nice day" as she was leaving. That button got a lot of laughs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I hear it enough around here I don't really notice it anymore. A lot of places promote themselves as "Christian business" even though it's just a gas station or a cafe, so they push that as their image as much as anything else. It's either deal with it or drive the next town over. It has occurred to me on more than one occasion, though, that if I truly responded to them in kind they'd probably show me the door.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• ^^ well if you could say Kiss my A$$ here you wouldn't have to use Bless your heart!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2013