How many limbs should a Marine be required to lose before they're allowed to express an opinion on civil rights?

Apparently, they have to lose more than one in Texas:

Anti-gay protesters boo gay Marine vet Eric Alva, who lost leg in Iraq War

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, I read this and felt so sad for him. He was genuinely shocked at how people were treating him. His statement afterward was both heartbreaking and empowering.

"“Well I just left city council chambers and I feel like crying. I have never seen a city so divided and hateful towards each other. All of man kind should be ashamed. I already spoke and even some of the religious groups even boo’ed me as I spoke. Such disrespect as they preach the word of God.”

and

"“To all you people that preach the word of God, shame on you because God loves me, like the day I laid bleeding on the sands of Iraq and that’s why he saved me,”
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Just because you are a vet or have lost a limb does not mean that your opinion is any more valuable than anyone else's. If we are on opposite sides in a protest, you might boo me or I might boo you.
    Has nohing to do with color or sex or service or disability.
    I wish people would stop this crap.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• you might boo me or I might boo you.

how mature
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• People are just getting extremely mean towards one another.

I bet this group would have held a candlelight vigil and prayer while he recovered if they assumed he was a straight guy from their town. He would have been lauded a hero.

But he had "teh gay" and that's all they see.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• My thought is that this man fought for our freedoms; yet people boo him for exercising his own? I understand that no one's opinions are more valuable, but you'd figure that because he sacrificed for ALL of our rights, people would at least show him a little respect in exercising his own.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• you might boo me or I might boo you.

Wow, really. You need to learn how to have a mature disagreement then.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• "I wish people would stop this crap."

You couldn't disagree without booing a man who lost a limb fighting for his country? Really?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• How sad. How truly sad. This man earned my respect when he selflessly put on that uniform & went overseas to fight for our country. He continues to earn it by bravely going forward w/ his life w/out his leg & then doing battle w/ bigots who don't approve of who he happens to love. And then to mock him in the name of God (it's my God too) is sickening to me. :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• The point of my statement was not centered on the booing. The point is that they disagreed and expressed it. It had nothing to do with his with his being a vet or an amputee and that should not be brought into the discussion.
    The fact is that his words hold no more weight or demand no more respect than any others.

Yes I agree with the booing being immature expression and yet it is pretty prevalent no matter who the protesters are or what the issue is about.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

mrsmom110 Answer by mrsmom110 8 hours ago

...and make men (and/or women) like him hold umbrellas? ( I think I just started a fight.)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2013