how can I occupy my babies' attention?

They are 6 weeks old and all they really do is eat and sleep... I'm sure to a certain extent that is normal, but I also need them awake so they sleep better at night. When they are awake, they pretty much just cry. They like the swing, but that puts them to sleep. They are not to the point of liking the bouncy seat really. I'm just not creative I guess, so any input is appreciated. Thanks so much!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 8:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oddly enough...the more the sleep during the day, the better they'll sleep at night. I know...it sounds odd but its true. A well rested baby sleeps longer and harder than one who is tired. At 6 weeks...they need to pretty well eat and sleep. They should only be awake for short periods a few times a day. Awake time will increase as they get older but trust me...you're better off letting them sleep. Mine slept 8 hours straight at night at 6 weeks, and 12 hours by 8 weeks. A policy to live by...NEVER wake a sleeping baby (as much as you can help it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• This is what newborns do. They will start to sleep better when they develop their own shcedule that you can then tweak. Until then hang in there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Enjoy the quiet wile you can, i get that you want them to sleep at night and that is the goal, but for right now let them sleep when they want, and take a nap with them wile you can. They all sleep through the night sooner or later.
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Over stimulation for a newborn is not a good thing. You will get a cranky child who just wants to go to sleep. At this age, let them sleep as long as they will, play quietly with them when they are awake because they really aren't awake all that much at 6 weeks. Don't overstimulate them. Have you ever noticed that an infant will sleep in a very noisey environment? That is because they are overstimulated and don't know what to do with all the chaos- so they go to sleep. Take a look at different websites for ideas of what to do with your little one when they get a little older. Right now just enjoy the quiet. It doesn't last long! Most babies this age have a quiet awake time, they actually are quite happy to look at your face. Thats really all they want right now.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 9:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree, let them sleep all they want, and please please don't expect night miracles at 6 weeks!

If you need help with night sleep though, please check out The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley, it will save you :) You can buy it used on Amazon.com for $10 shipped!

As far as stimulation, get on the floor and play with them!! Show them black and white pictures. Lay them on their tummies and put toys in front of them.

This is a great site, and you can print black and white images for them:

http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/free-printable-picture.html

if it's warm outside, take them outside!

inside, let them touch plants (non-poisonous obviosuly), let them touch anything. Give them a tour of your house.

And if all else fails, baby einstein works wonders, BUT, that is a decision you'll have to make as some advice says no TV time for babes under 2, but I think 20 minutes here and there wo
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• cont ...

won't hurt.

just be silly and creative.

google "activities for newborns" or whatever the specific age range you are trying to fill.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oh, make silly faces at them and play peek-a-boo!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009