Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh no

I forgot that I had overdrawn my bank account by like 60 dollars 3 years ago. Lost my job and a check was supposed to come and it never did. I dont know why but I forgot about it and they closed the account. Just wondering is this something you can get in trouble for? Can i still pay it or will this arrest me? Sorry feel bad i forgot

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • I'm sure they could sue you for it if they wanted to. But if you went to pay it back they'd either accept the payment, or say just go away. I don't think you'd get arrested unless they sued you and you still then refused to pay them.

    Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • You wont be arrested! It will hurt your credit and there is a way to pay it. I'm not sure if all banks are the same but the one I worked at gave a number to call like a collections agency. As bad as the economy is these days, the jails would be over flowing with people that have a negative at the bank.

    Answer by candace71306 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • Bet it is on your credit report. Dont know why collections have not found you. You should pay it up. Check your credit report too. You might be charged 3 years of interest.. If you dont find out and pay it, you could be very sorry sometime in the future with a HUGE bill.

    Answer by DAWN-10 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • Just check with the bank and they should be able to direct you.... Would the bank have been able to contact you if they wanted to or have you moved away from where you were at the time?

    Answer by BJoan at 9:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • If you overdrew your bank accout, chances are it is not on your credit report, unless a check was returned and not paid. Banks usually just report it to a place like chex systems after so long and i fyou try to open an account at another bank it will likely show up. And the bank will refuse to open you an account until you pay the other bank and bring in proof. That is what we did at the bank i worked at. And some banks dont report it unless it is at least $100.00. Again that is some banks. But we didn't report on there credit report. But some of your larger banks like wells fargo or chase might do so. It wont be sent to collections or anything like that and you wont be arrested. Unless there was a check returned and the place it was returned to pursued the matter. Then there may be an outstandin warrant out for you. But highly doubtful on that amount. Plus by your question it doesnot sound like a chekc was returned..

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • you can still pay it

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.