Baby dies after ingesting laundry detergent pod...from CNN

How sad is this? The Mother & Baby were in a battered Women's Shelter when it occurred.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/16/us/child-dies-after-ingesting-laundry-pod/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Do you use Detergent pods?

Maybe someone can make this a clicky?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 5:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Didn't something like that happen after the dishwasher pacs came out too? I remember something to that effect. They are cool looking, squishy and fun to play with....

I remember reading, but I don't remember if it was here or on another site, a woman telling the story about having one of them break and it made her hand burn and itch. Nothing she'd tried to wash it would work, and (this is probably not good) I don't remember exactly what poison control did tell her to use, but it took a few days to recover completely. I've been a little more careful with them since reading it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I use the pods and I love them. They are squishy. I want to squeeze one but that would be a waste of a load of laundry.

They are pretty big. I think my kids would probably recoil at the first taste.

Sad though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• They look really pretty, but I imagine they taste horrible. By that time it's too late I gather. I don't use them and I keep my detergent in a high cupboard anyhow. How sad for the family.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Where are people leaving those?!
    I make my own,less toxic soap

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• Yes I use Tide Pods. Yes I keep them on a high shelf out of reach of me, unless I stretch.

I pulled one out, and asked my kids what they thought it was. I thought for sure my 9 and 5 year olds (at the time) would know to keep away from them. They promptly told me they thought the pods were candy. (insert explosion into face here) So then, I told the kids what they were ,and that Mom/Dad would NEVER keep candy on the same shelf as laundry detergent.

Haven't had a problem since.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• How in the heck did he get ahold of it? Soap taste awful, surprised he didn't spit it out, maybe he choked on it, feeling there may be more to this story.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• I pulled one out, and asked my kids what they thought it was. I thought for sure my 9 and 5 year olds (at the time) would know to keep away from them. They promptly told me they thought the pods were candy. (insert explosion into face here) So then, I told the kids what they were ,and that Mom/Dad would NEVER keep candy on the same shelf as laundry detergent.

How scary, that kids as old as five and nine would think those pods look like candy. Why would companies design soap to look that way?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• How sad.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2013