Who else's kids are going to school full day for the first time?

My son starts 1st grade next week, so this will be his first time going full day, since kinder was only half. He's really nervous, and doesn't want to go. Says he hates school and wants to quit, and all sorts of stuff like that. How can I make him feel more comfortable, and actually WANT to go, so the teachers don't have to pry him off me on the first day :\

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kinder was going to be Part time. Here it was going to be that Part time was free and full time was $50 a month. We didn't feel the need for him to be Full time.

They just got funding so they are moving it all to Full-time, if necessary they will have a part time class as well. So we are going to try full time and if he can't handle it we will move to part time.

Does he say why he doesn't want to got? Did he have some troubles last year? Perhaps with the kids.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• This is going to be the first time for my boys.
    Sounds like he has some nerves going on. Just support him. Notice how he's feeling & what he's fearing, and put it into words for him. "You just really, really don't want to go, huh?" or "You are really dreading this." Be with him there in his discomfort, and show (in your ability to tolerate his feelings) that it is not too horrible to face or hear.
    My kids have expressed the full range of reactions to things like this. My oldest went through so much of the process "vicariously" (before her preschool even started, lol!) that the actual transition when it came was very smooth. But I sat with her through some tears and "I'm not going!" in the days before.
    Think of it as him processing feelings--going through an actual PROCESS. Feeling this way & expressing it does not mean that he's going to resist going to school. He just has big feelings. How they're handled is what counts most.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2013

• My daughter will be going to full-time kindergarten. She hasn't expressed a lot of fear in words, but she's been pretty moody and clingy for the last few days. It will be a big change, but I expect she'll adapt quickly and be fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2013

• My daughter, (who is now 25) couldn't wait to go to school. She would watch the bus go by in the morning and be so frustrated she couldn't be on it. So when she started kindergarten, she was fine. I was a mess, but she was fine. I followed the bus in my car, and I watched her get off the bus and go into her kinder class. My son went to the same school I taught in, so I drove him to school, and I could drop in and see how he was doing during the day. 

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2013