Age difference???

My DH and I are considering having another child. Our son is 28 months. What do some of you think is a good age difference to have between siblings? We were thinking 3-3 1/2 years. Do you think they will have a close relationship being that far apart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• i only have one child. but i can tell you that im 21, i have a brother that is 18, and i have a sister that is 10. im actually closer to my sister than i am my brother. its a long story but i dont think it matters how far apart they are, they will either be close or they wont.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think everyone deserves a sibling.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 8:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Mine are 2 yrs and 1 mo apart and personally I couldn't have had them any closer in age or I'd be totally insane right now! LOL But I'm glad that they are close in age; as my sister and I are 12 yrs apart and have nothing in common other than our mom...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't think it really matters, but if you read "The Birth Order" book, it explains a lot about how children develop depending on where they are born within a family and how far apart they are. This book is amazingly accurate about a lot of personality traits. I would look into this. But if you and DH are ready for another LO running around then do it. Congrats on your decision.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My first two are 26 mths apart. My last two are 19 mths apart.

We wanted them 2-2 1/2 yrs apart so it worked out pretty well for us.

They get along but they have their moments. I think you will have good days and bad days no matter what age range you have.

We like the age range we have, we are used to it now. They play nicely with each other, encourage each other and we have days when its just a great fun for all. Then we have our moments of chaos where they hate each other and wrestle around,etc. LOL
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't think any one particular age difference is a guarantee the two siblings will be close....It is likely to effect the way you parent the kids, but not necessarily how well they get along. That will depend on their personalities as they get older as well as whether or not they see each other as allies or competetors! I think 3-3 and a half years is a great spread though! Not so close in age that they won't have their own identities, but not so far apart that they won't share experiences. My kids are 8 and a half years apart and I could tell you a million great things about that spread as well! By the way, I always "planned" to have my kids about 4 years apart but that isn't how it worked out. It was still great!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• mine are 17 months apart and are too close in my opinion but if i could do it again i would have waited to try until the oldest was 2 so i think about 3-4 yrs is just perfect
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my 4 were all born in 2 1/2 years. There's 10 months between my oldest and my twins, and 18 months between my twins and my youngest. Its has its ups and downs, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It certainly wasn't planned that way, but we took would was handed to us. ( I'm done now! lol)
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my mom and her sisters were all between 2.5 to 3 years apart.. and my bf and his brothers are all three years apart.. its close enough that its close and they have lots of stuff in common, but far enough that when they were in school, especially high school, they each got to enjoy the moments..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My sister and I are ten years apart and we've always been super close, so I don't think two to three years of an age difference is that bad.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009