Parents raising teens or who have raised a teen.

This is just a question out of curiosity.

For the parents of teens or for those who raised a teen an one point.

I find myself questioning how to raise my son. I hear that I need to do this or that. That he needs to be this way or that.

But my questions are.

Was/is your teen hard to wake up in the mornings or did they get up on their own? How are they at doing chores? What kinds of attitudes did/do you get? Was it us there a lot if reminding to get things done? Etc....

I know ultimately that all kids are different, but I just wanted some insight. Thanks to all who answer!!!

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on which of the three we are talking about
    Three distinct personalities with an overall compliance to rules and regulations.
    All bound for college (hopefully) and a deep desire to move the heck up out of my home at 18 and see the world.
    They understand (generally) that in order to do so they must go to school.
    They also understand that chores and discipline are preparing them for life on their own...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Speaking in generalities, they are hard to get up in the morning, unless it's for something they WANT to do. (def. not to go to school!) They can be cranky & rude, unless they want something from you (usually money or a ride) They don't do their chores without a few "reminders", but then get angry when you forget something they told you while you were either sleeping or in the bathroom! Oh yes, these are the years you will fondly look back on as the prep days for empty-nest time!! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Teens need a lot of sleep and it was hard to get ours up on weekends but they did good getting up for school. They knew there were no privileges like going out with friends, etc if they didn't do what was expected. They didn't have too many chores but rather family projects on weekends that they were expected to help with....yard work, etc. We spoke to them with respect and expected the same in return. Got very little attitude. In hindsight, I guess we lucked out. GL!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• No trouble here. Very responsible and hard-working. Earned scholarships and worked during college years. All lived at home and went to the local university. Still have good relationships with all of them. I think laying a good foundation in the early years is key.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• My daughter (almost 20) has always gotten herself up- with her alarm. Always had decent grades ---nto the greatest with cleaning though ;)
    dealt with depression and anxiety -so lots of drama

my son (17 now) has ALWAYS been HELL to get out of bed. he jsut is NOT a morning person and never has been. He sleeps through alarms, so I have to wake him up myself...I'm not sure WHAT he will do when I'm not there to make sure he actually gets up anymore
    His grades have been all ovr the place- always. Passes some with A's or B's and fails others... he will clean when asked- but never usually on his own. He is angry a lot- though that has mellowed out a bit the last year or so

utimately, both are very good kids- have never gotten into any real trouble- and no issues with drugs or drinking or that kind of thing
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Some kids are hard to wake up. They grow so much some just need a lot of sleep or have trouble failing asleep to begin with.

For chores my kids are responsible for doing dishes, yard work, and their own laundry. Sometimes they make simple meals, and other things come up they also help.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Was/is your teen hard to wake up in the mornings or did they get up on their own? Yes but she does get up on her own. So does my almost teenage son.

How are they at doing chores? Not very well. Sometimes it would be easier to do it myself.
    What kinds of attitudes did/do you get? DD gets grouchy and rolls her eyes. The boy screams at me and says no all the while complying with the demand

Was it us there a lot if reminding to get things done? No. I remind DD once and if she doesn't get it done, she takes the consequences. Son is still a work in progress he gets two reminders and is not allowed to do anything else until the required thing gets done.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Both of mine had no problems getting up. Both had to be reminded frequently to do chores. My daughter was and is a people pleaser, so she was never a problem. Never gave me attitude, never talked back, always got excellent grades. My son, not so much. I once asked him, can you even say "sorry, I was wrong" and he said no. I swear, If I had said look how blue the sky is today, he would have said, the sky isn't blue. Arguing and  back talk happened on a daily basis.  For awhile I thought he might have ODD. His grades were all over the place. If he liked the class he got A's if he didn't he got F's. It was tough. I had more than a few good crying sessions. But he is so much better now. ( he just turned 19) He got on the dean's list this year. He is home for the summer and I gave him chores, and he does them without me nagging him.  He asks for my opinion, and advice. Amazing!

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I am on my 3rd teenager (and I have one more that has yet hit the teens)--all are boys!

The first one was hard to get up in the morning. He liked to sleep in and would sleep all morning if I let him. He did well in school and did his chores when asked with little problem. He just wasn't' a morning person.

Teen boy #2 got up in the morning no problem. He was up and happy! BUT, he didn't do to hot in school and forgot his homework and if you asked him to do something around the house, forgot what you asked him to do by the time he got down the hall to do it! Used to make me crazy.

Both of them are now in the military and do very well. I am sometimes surprised by that!

Teen # 3 has autism and although he used to get up at a very early hour, is now sleeping until 9am (considering he used to get up at 6 am, I'll take this as 'sleeping in'. He needs several prompts to do any chore, but does well in school by his IEP
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• goals.

Boy #4 is only 4 and is quite different from #;s 1, 2 and 3. If the last 4 years are any indication, I'm in trouble for his teen years!
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2013