Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Custody Help, Please!!

I am from Pennsylvania but I lived in Maryland for over ten years. While I was in Maryland I became married and had two children. My husband was abusive to me in every way but in the physical sense. I moved back to PA to be with family. I have been here for almost two years now. My ex and I are not divorced yet. He resides in MD still and does get the children every weekend and gets one week out of every month in the summer plus vacations during school. This is what I gave him because I am too nice. Now I realize it's hard to take anything away from him.

I have an opportunity to move to Georgia where I have an aunt, uncle and two cousins in the military. My mother and sister as well as her children would be relocating to Georgia as well.

My ex hubby is only willing to let me go to Georgia with the kids if I get back together with him.

I know I need to prove Georgia is a better life for us then Philadelphia but i'm having a hard time getting my ducks in a row. Any help/suggestions are appreciated :-)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in Travel

Answers (6)
  • have you filed for divorce yet? you should file for divorce and get custody worked out with a judge before moving. otherwise you have to wait to establish residency in the new state before you can even file which can be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years

    Answer by AzaleaRose at 12:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • You are still married and you can take the kids legally anywhere you want to.
    I would help others pack while you are packing as well (depending on the age of the kids)
    I should have asked if you are living with family or on your own.
    Secret packing is easier if you are with other family. Basically say nothing and pack and leave and as soon as you get to Georgia contact a lawyer and file for divorce.
    By the way, as long as you are married, you are not being "too nice" by letting him have his kids. He has every right to come and get them any time he wants.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • Call te Georgia court house ahead of time. See if one of your relatives can get you in contact with a good lawyer before you move to get the skinny.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • The only catch to filing for divorce after you move to GA is that a lot of states have residency requirements that require you to live in the state for 6 months to a year before you can file. And in that time, he CAN still file in MD. And if you go to GA without him being okay with it, I'd bet that's exactly what he'd do.

    Is legal separation an option in MD or PA? Where you can get it in a court order that you two are separated and hammer out some custody and visitation arrangements? If it is, I'd look into that before you move, because then you can explain to a judge why you want to move, and if you can convince the judge, then your husband can't stop you because it's in the court order.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 12:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • If you are not divorced. You have nothing saying you can't by the court. You can move anywhere you want. If I where you I would just do it. Keep it from the kids as long as you can. Because they will probably tell daddy when they see him. Then just move.

    Answer by louise2 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • dont do it

    Answer by smiley745 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.