Stats?? (IE class size, etc)

I requested a teacher for my son 3rd grade and daughter 2nd and got NEITHER pick. We're highly encouraged to do this... so BOO.

My daughters grade doesn't release class details til the day of so I know nothing. But I entertained my son this morning and we did the "math" together....

25 kids in his class last year, 24 this time. And only 2 of his 2nd grade classmates are with him this year. So 21 new buddies.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• My older 2 are in high school. They have huge grades: 9th is 605 and 10th is 585. If they had stayed in their private school the entire grades would have been 20 and 25!

My youngest is going into 3rd. There are roughly 40 in the grade, so 20 into each "class." But they split the kids into groups based on differentiated learning and do rotations. So he'll have both teachers each day. He could end up having his bff in his homeroom but not in his rotations if they are at different learning levels.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I don't know this years stats yet, but last year I had 4th grade classes with 30 to 32 kids. 1st grade had 25 to 26. The lowest was 3rd grade with 23 to 24 kids. 5th grade averaged 28. I had 36 classes per week and over 900 students.  I have the privilege to teach in a state that has the 4th largest class sizes in the nation. WOOHOO!

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• my dd is going into 2nd grade, there are 20 kids in her class & thankfully she got the teacher I wanted her to have. My dd is friends with her dd & they've spent the night together and stuff so I'm super excited she got someone who some what knows her.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Oldest now moves around, about 21 kids per class in each segment, youngest has only 17 this year praise the lord! Last year he had 27, too many IMO.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• About 36 kids total in the school (K-8) this year. They are grouped roughly by age/level into lower & upper elementary groups (the equivalent of grades K-2 for the lower group, and grades 3-5 for the older elementary group) and middle school (the equivalent of grades 6-8.) Incoming students & graduating classes are generally about 4 at a time, so the groups have around 12 kids in each. So the "class" will have about 12 kids.

They spend a fair bit of the day grouped by age that way, but groups for things like math or French are based on level and so some elementary kids will be working in a predominantly middle school (advanced) group for either or both of those disciplines, and some of the younger elementary kids end up working with kids in the upper elementary group for math. Although sometimes they stay in their regular "group" but have individualized work going on, or a small "sub-group" of kids doing more advanced things.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Mine's a high school freshman this year. There are more than 1,000 kids in his class alone. The whole student body comes close to 4,000.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2013