Do you have experience w/ meals on wheels?

my dad just got home from about 2 weeks of hospitalization and is doing awesome but the hospital said I should set him up w/ M.O.W. to take a little of the stress of myself and my husband. sometimes he has terrible face pain from TMJ and arthritis in his jaw and I am curious will they be willing/able to accommodate soft foods? example instead of a whole apple an applesauce instead..... if the answer is YES, will they still give him real food? not like an embarrassing puree? Could not reach the sign up lady yesterday, hoping to hear from her Monday

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in Health

• I've never worked with them, so I don't know for sure. When I looked, I found this site for a San Diego Meals on Wheels that mentions 4 meal types, one of which is "easy to chew." I don't know if they all follow that same 4 meal pattern, but it looks like you should be able to get what he needs.

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• My grandmother got them. They all seemed very easy to chew. I would try to get ahold of them in your area just to check first, though. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• When my Mother was living she received it for awhile. Since we lived so far out frozen meals were delivered for her ( a week's worth)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Yes they can accommodate his needs. Mow was such a blessing when my pap was sick from cancer.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• My mother used to help prepare and deliver Meals on Wheels. It's been a long time, but when she did it, there were foods provided for those who needed a soft diet. Soups, applesauce, Jell-O, pudding, things like that. Even mashed potatoes and gravy with bits of meat. I hope your dad feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I have delivered MOW's before and they do consider the dietary needs. When you fill out the paperwork, you can put what his needs are.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2013