CafeMom tries to be a place where people can express their opinion and practice freedom of speech, even if their message is extremely controversial or of questionable validity.

That's a direct quote from the Official Guidelines of Cafemom that ever member is expected to adhere to as a member of the site. The entire rule can be found here: 4. Controversial topics and debates are encouraged, but be prepared for others to agree AND disagree with you and your ideas.

Do you feel this is a place you can express your opinion and practice freedom of speech?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Only if it's very carefully worded, so my words aren't turned around or twisted to sound like an attack.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I did up until recently. Now I am afraid to say anything that doesn't blow rainbows and sunshine up someone's ask. The sad thing is sometimes what the OP NEEDS to hear isn't always rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes you do a disservice to someone by not giving them the hard cold truth. It may not be what they want to hear, but it is what they need to hear.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• No! You have to be on egg shell in here most of the time.

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Not anymore!
    All the fucking whining, reporting, tattle telling is just ridiculous!
    This used to be a place to come to for all sorts of opinions, good or bad but now everything has to be sugar coated to appease everyone.
    That's not reality ladies!
    My question is...is everyone happy now?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• At times, yes. Other times, No. Meaning there is NO consistency here.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I think you should be allowed to be passionate about how you feel, the things that have been going on the past few days seem to discourage the freedom of speech.
    I 100% agree when someone is being horrible they should be called on it, but if I say the sky is green and you say purple, or I question why you think it is purple, and you tell me I am a bitch, and I am a bully, why is it that I am the one who gets in trouble?
    By the way, in my world the sky IS GREEN today, looks like we are getting rain!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Currently, I do not.

Rules are not applied uniformly and, because of this, I will refrain from sharing any advice or opinion on any matter beyond the most trivial (if at all)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Not lately. I am afraid to breath wrong right now, for fear someone will be offended and I will be banned. Unless the rules are applied consistently and even handedly there is no freedom of speech in here. They need to clarify their rules and make them uniform, not give some members more leeway and others less.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Not anymore
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Depends. Most of the time we can but lately, not so much
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2013