Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

what can i do as an aunt for my nice ?

my sister went to jail and she left me a guardianship over my nice it was notarized but it was not taken in front of a judge we did not know we had to do this he is going through a divorce so nothing is on paper there was a verbal agreement that she would have the 7 year old in her care and he would have the 13 now the 13 dos not wont to be with the father the father has put him against the wall and he is very sacred of him i called SPC and they left him the kids so what papers can i tack to my sister to fill out for me will she is in jail help please

Answer Question

Asked by 1elizabeth at 9:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Custody is a complicated process. You will probably need to see an attorney. Please do not try to handle this without one.

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • You need a lawyer. SHE needs a lawyer.

    Answer by gdiamante at 9:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • Since your sister is in jail she has no rights to custody.
    She can proceed with her divorce but until she is out of jail custody will not be awarded to her since she can not exercise it anyway.
    You can go to court as a third party responder but you will have to prove that he is an unfit parent. The thirteen year old and the baby should each have their own Guardian ad Litem assigned to them. You will need a lawyer for yourself if you are going to try for legal custody.

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

  • Need to talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.