I'm under investigation by children's services. Does anyone know their procedures? Am I possibly going to lose my kids?

Friday evening two woman from CPS came by and told me that they had gotten a report that my five year old son was outside at 9:30PM, unsupervised, playing in the road and was nearly hit by a large truck. I told them that that was ridiculous because at 9:30PM he was in bed and had he gotten out the front door I would have seen him because I was in the living room watching TV. I could tell that they didn't believe me because the one woman kept questioning me about it and asking me what services I have in place for his safety and care as far as therapies and schooling and such. He has ADHD and she wanted to know what doctors he saw and medications and treatments he gets. Then she gave me a card and said that Monday I am to call the man on the card that he was the social worker who was working my case.
About 2 years ago the school reported that my daughter who is now 8 had bruises on her and after a 6 month evaluation the case was dropped because the claims were unsubstantiated. The marks they thought were bruises turned out to be grape juice that she had spilled on her legs, she was wearing a skirt.
A friend of mine told me though that since I was investigated before their normal policy is to remove the children until after an investigation and a judge deems me fit or unfit in which case the kids can be put up for adoption. She told me that Monday when I call, they will tell me to come to the office with the kids, their medications and clothes packed and that they will take them then and it could be 6 months to a year before I get them back, if at all. She also told me that I will not be permitted contact with them until they know that the children are not in any danger. In the mean time I will have my life, family, and home put under a microscope and they will investigate every detail in my life to determine if I am fit to get the kids back.
Is any of this true? Are they going to take the kids on Monday? Do I have any rights here that I can express or am I at the mercy of the county now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So did this informant call the police on you?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I don't know if they called the police or just called CPS. No Police ever came by, just the social workers and they won't release the name of who it was that called them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• WTH! There's more to this story for things to be this bad!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• My advice would be to contact an attorney Monday morning. I would not give up my constitutional rights simply because CPS came to my home.

I'm skeptical of the information provided to you by your "friend"
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Do not under any circumstances take youe kids to them until after you speak with an atty
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I'm really not sure, but hopefully because the claims are ones that should be cleared up fairly easily it won't be too awful for you. I'm not very familiar with the way CPS does things, but hopefully they do see when a claim is unfounded.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• fishin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Wow- that's scary. I agree with contacting an attorney 1st thing Monday morning. I think your "friend" gave you a worst case scenario. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• Thanks ladies, yeah I am hoping that my friend was just telling me the worst case possible and that she isn't correct. She had her kids taken away about 10 years ago but that was from drug use and they had definite proof there. In this case all they have is someones word and honestly at 9:30 at night, I can't see how anyone would know that it was my child or not. She could have seen anyone's little boy outside and just thought it was mine. I really can't see my kid getting outside then sneaking back in and going back to bed without my knowing about it. That seems a little much to believe.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2013

• I've never dealt with CPS but it sounds a little far fetched that they would tell you to pack you're kids and bring them in on Monday because they're taking them away. Your children wouldn't be removed simply because someone said something, they'd have to complete their investigation first. Plus, if they were going to take your kids because they thought you were unfit they'd come to your house immediately, not leave them there over the weekend and tell you to turn them in two days later. I don't believe that is what you were told, maybe you just misunderstood. Lastly, I find it really hard to believe that grape juice leaves stains on skin that can be mistaken for bruises. Not saying she was actually bruised, but grape juice??? There has to be more to this story.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2013