23 Month old not taking naps anymore

What age do toddlers stop taking naps? He has always been a very good sleeper until now. My son's sleep schedule changed drastically these past weeks and now he has stopped taking naps and sleeps an average of 12 hours at night. Does that seem normal and healthy for a 2 year old?

CashJulianMommy

Asked by CashJulianMommy at 9:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have to make my daughter take one either that or she will fall asleep at the dinner table
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My babe stopped napping at 23 mo. but it was when I took away her pacifier, she never napped again!
    By 21/2 she was sleeping in her bed with little trouble!
    Anonymous

• All kids are different my oldest NEVER slept. She would be up when i was watching Jay Leno @ night and stopped takign naps @ 12 months old. She didn't sleep throught the night until she almost 7, although she stopped waking me up somewhere around 2 or 3. Now @ 12 years old she still sometimes has trouble sleeping. but my youngest took 2-3 hour naps until she as almost 6! and she slept from 8pm -7 am.
    Anonymous

• yes mom it is normal for a toddler to stop taking naps and sleep long at night, good for you and baby, dont be to worried if it changes tho, they go threw those spells sometimes. My youngest could not nap or he wouldnt sleep at night, now he is 7 and still wakes, sometimes he is up at 12am ready for school sometimes he is up at 4am, I cant wait for him to sleep through the night LOL...But my other two sleep just fine
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is normal for a toddler to not want to nap, but I think at that age he still needs on. Don't give up even if he is not sleeping keep up with your naptime routine and maybe he will eventually go back to taking one. If the routine has changed greatly that might just be why. After the routine normalizes again the naps might start up again. Don't give up good sleep is essential to being happy and healthy. The habits that are learned when they are little carry through even until adulthood. GL!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Heck my four year old still takes a nap a day for like and hour and a half. But he goes to bed at 9 and wakes up at 7 so may be that is why. He gets cranky w/o his naps and falls asleep at 6 usually dinner time so it is good for us. but every child is different sooo
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Azzy stopped napping about 3 months after turning 2. She sleeps an average of 10-12 hours. There are days where we have Down Time because she gets a bit frustrated and cranky over something. If she wakes up earlier than 10am she gets a quick nap in the afternoon.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 11:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It's normal from about 2-3 yrs. for kids to stop napping. It ranges in age though. You be the judge by his actions through out the day weather he should take one or not.
    Anonymous

• Oh gosh, my son stopped at about 18 mos. Hes almost 3 now and rarely naps.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son stopped taking a nap. He is 26 months. Then he started taking a late nap around 6pm. He would literally run until he fell on the floor and went to sleep! Then he started going to bed at 4 am.... and sleeping until 1pm! We are just now getting that fixed. So just make sure that doesnt end up happening, its awful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2009