Why do people pray to saints?

The 1st Commandment is where God tells us to worship no false gods and his Son and my Savior tells us that "No one gets to the Father execpt thru Me", so why has mankind created the concept of saints and why do people pray to saints instead of to God Almighty thru Jesus?

MorganCapt

Asked by MorganCapt at 11:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic (anymore - was baptized Catholic), but from what I understand it isn't praying TO the saints, it's asking them to intercede on their behalf, much like asking a pastor or friend to pray for you.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yep, it's intercession.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• People don't pray to saints, people ask saints to pray for them. It's called Intercession. No different than the pastor getting up on Sunday and asking the congregation to pray for Mrs. Jones and her hip replacement.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I'm not Catholic anymore, but I was raised in the faith. We were taught that you could ask a saint to help you pray to God, especially if there was a specific saint who was open to a cause. St. Anthonly was the saint of lost things, and I remember being very young and praying that he would ask God to help me find misplaced toys.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• daps

Answer by daps at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• When you ask your Minister to pray for you, are you worshiping Him?
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• You pulled out the old no one gets to the Father except through me. In order to understand this you have to take in the full context of what he meant. To do that you also have to understand and read Genesis and the fall.
    Gen 3 14-15 14] And the Lord God said to the serpent: Because thou hast done this thing, thou art cursed among all cattle, and beasts of the earth: upon thy breast shalt thou go, and earth shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. [15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. Christians for thousands of years knew that was referring to Mary. That he already knew her and had plans for her. Also at the end of this this Chapter you see that the gates of Heaven were slammed shut. Waiting for the Savior. The Logos, the Word The Son of God.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• When he came he knew that he was to be the sacrificial Lamb the pure sacrifice. He suffered by taking on all our sins. When he died he went to Where those who had gone before were sleeping in the arms of Abraham. To judge them and take them into Heaven with him. Through this action he open the Gates of Heaven. So through Him and his sacrifice we can now and forever enter and be with God. So you see we believe and know that they are alive in Heaven close to God. We don't worship them That is for God and God and God alone. We honor them and ask for their help. By Praying with us and for us. They are our older brothers and sisters in God. Even the early reformists Calvin, Luther and others believed this. This thought that we can't ask for help from Saints is relatively new. So my question why would you want to cut yourself off from the help of those alive in heaven?
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I never felt as tho people praying to saints were worshiping those saints. As jesus said "Speak to the Father as you would your own parent" and that's what I have been doing for years...and it works. And as has happened recently, saints, as St. Christopher, have been 'removed' as saints and were recognized for many years, so how valid, or permanent are any saints today?
    I'm staying with with directing my prayers to God our Almighty Father, through His Son, my Savior Jesus...it ain't broke and I ain't fixin' it!
    MorganCapt

Comment by MorganCapt (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• First off he wasn't removed as a Saint. He still is. A Saint can't be removed once given Sainthood. which is why now there is long process for it. He was just removed from the canonical calendar. Second when we pray we don't pray alone. The Heavenly hosts ( Angels and Saints) Pray with us, whether you ask them to or not. Revelation explains that.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2013