Who gets the jewelry when I die?

My husband and I are having a major issue with who gets my jewelry when I die. He has two boys and a girl, and I have three girls. I have been married twice before and have my wedding rings to leave to my girls. Each of my girls will have a wedding ring passed down to them from me. My husband wants me to be "fair" and give his daughter one of my wedding rings as well. This is my jewelry, and I don't feel anyone has a say in this but me. I'm not close to his daughter and have only known her for a little over a year. She would have no sentimental bond to my jewelry. My rings mean a great deal to my girls. They have picked out what they want many years ago, and I don't feel my husband is being fair to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I would leave his daughter the wedding ring he gave to you when you got married. The other wedding rings you brought into the marriage and are yours to decide who should get what.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would suggest making a will and putting in it that only your daughters get the rings. He doesn't have to know what you put it in. Perhaps you can give your step-daughter another piece of nice, but less significant jewelry.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well I just got an idea...why not get something "new" to leave to her...I mean like something that has no sentimental value to you or your girls. You could always get a ring somewhere "pawn shop maybe" and keep it aroundso that she'll have something. Just a thought. My dad let me have my moms only ring we didnt bury her with and it means alot to me. If I had a step mom, I wouldnt want anything of hers like that if I wasnt close to her.
    Anonymous

• The jewelry that was given to you before your husband should go to YOUR daughters. Actually the jewerly should go to who want it  to go to.  It would be nice if you did leave his daughter a piece of jewelry to remember you by. Do you get along with his daughter?? Is your stepdaughters mother going to leave your daughters a ring? I think not.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If he's determined to have you leave her a ring, why not get an annaversary ring, that will leave you with four rings to pass out in the will and the annaversary ring will be something that you and her father shared in your marriage which will make it that much more special. Whatever you decide, make sure you're happy with it, good luck.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 9:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Like you said, it's your jewelry. Give it to whomever you want. Give them to the dd's before you die and then there won't be a problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would ask your husband to buy you something special for you to leave to his daughter. It would be special because he picked it out and it's also from you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Drag his stuff out and you start deciding where it should go. YOUR Jewlery is yours...
    Pattyca56

Answer by Pattyca56 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I like that Pattyca56! It's your jewelry. Her mom can pass down her jewelry to her daughter. These are your daughters, you aren't obligated to leave an inheritance for his kids
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2009