So, what do you know about Sufism?

I'm going to meet with a group of Sufi's tomorrow, to ask if they'd be interested in teaching a class for the nonprofit I volunteer for. I know a little about the faith, but I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about Sufism. Thought it might offer a nice little discussion, perhaps :)

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always categorized it like the Muslim equivalent of Kabbalah. (only without the pop-culture idolization and rewriting) The only person I knew who (I was led to believe) practiced it was a co-worker who did not discuss it openly.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Honestly not a thing. I would be interested in learning a little something about it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I don't know enough to be of any help, but I can share a personal experience. I think I read that Sufiism is sort of a mystical offshoot of Islam. Many years ago, in another lifetime when I was young and silly, my now-husband and I had no place to stay because we had moved cross-country without the fund for an apartment. We met one Sufi who saw us sitting outside making jewelry to sell so we could come up with the money for an apartment, and he told us that he was watching the apartment of some friends who were out of town (also Sufis). Amazingly, they agreed. Keep in mind that we were total strangers and they had never met us, and their friend barely knew us. They allowed us to stay for a few weeks to make our jewelry in the air-conditioning. That helped us to save enough money for an apartment. I don't know if this was a way of living out their faith because I never got to ask them. I'm guessing that it probably was.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yeah, so far, from my reading and all that, what I understand is they are a mystical version of Islam. That kind of thing is always hard to understand until you're actually taught, because most mystics believe in personal experience...
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Darn, I think the meeting got postponed :(

I was looking forward to it
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2013