If a person has celiac disease

what do you need to avoid?
I know wheat but is it all grais?

Do you have some sort of recipes that maybe you like that is a good starting point for a beginner?
DDIL is suspected of having it as she has the symptoms and one of the tests came back. I believe she has two more tests but the doctor told her to start eating as though she does have this disease.
I am trying to come up with some meal plans for her to start of with. The library is closed so that is no help.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 12:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Health

• Gluten needs to be avoided. Sensitivity varies- some people can handle contamination, some have to even be careful of shampoo and such things because gluten is found in some odd stuff. I don't personally have celiac or an intolerance but people close to me do and I also work in a bakery and have been the GF "expert" for them.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Wheat mostly
    Some can tolerate oatmeal,some cannot
    She'll need to Google all the wheat derived additive in foods.
    There are many grains(although expensive as heck) that can replace regular wheat products
    Basically all fruits,veggies,and meats(prepared at home) are a go

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• There are also some tricky things. When I first learned about celiac, it was from a co-worker who was so sensitive she couldn't eat food from a plate that had a biscuit on it. I remember she had to send her breakfast back a couple of times when we were out once. When they first brought it, they'd put a muffin on the plate even thought she told them not to. She sent it back, and the same plate came back out sans muffin. She told them, "You don't understand. I need a completely new meal cooked, because otherwise this could put me in the hospital."

Hopefully your DDIL won't have to deal with anything that serious.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• It's wheat, not all grains.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• This is a good list of food do's and don'ts for celicac.  

ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 1:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I have a friend that had it. She is totally gluten free. No wheat, bread, pasta, rice. She can't even eat quinoa.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• So a little like the diabetic diet.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I hope not. She has been complaining of upsets and pain in her intestinal area and we told her to tell her doctor about it all and keep a journal until then. She thought we were a little off to be telling her to record gas and "turbulence" etc and to talk to him. Now she may find some relief, though.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I will pass that on. I would never have thought about shampoos or conditioners or lotions.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• My sister has Celiac. Everyone is different. She cannot handle any cross contamination either, meaning even dishes that have been used to cook gluten can make her ill. She can't use chapstick or makeup that has gluten in it. She can't use the waterless cat shampoo anymore for her cat because it has gluten.

There are lists of gluten ingredients(becuase it isn't always obviously gluten) that you can get for her to take while shopping. Once she gets used to it and finds some products that she likes then it will get easier. There are many many websites for gluten free cooking, even a bunch of pinterest boards.

She can also go see a nutritionist once or twice to get help.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2013