Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

BLACK MOLD!?

Well we have had a shower leak for quite some time was leaking before we moved in we cant afford to fix it right now... today while i was cleanin my bathroom i mopped the floor then picked up the bath rug because i was going it wash it then put it back down and i noticed on the side of the wall there was black and kind of brown furry looking type Mold All on the wall! When i put the rug down a black cloud of black dust went all through the air So i know I breathed it in before i even realized it! Well I took a shower because i as freaked out i would get it through the house from off of me now Im coughing alot. it feels like my throat is slightly swollen, and my chest hurts on the left side I dont know what to do Im freaking out!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Health

Answers (6)
  • With those symptoms, call a doc. You may have an allergy to it.
    gdiamante

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

  • 1) you need a doctor

    2) it's very likely your house is unlivable - do you own or rent? If you rent, your landlord needs to address that issue immediately. If you own, you may have a much bigger problem, because it is your responsibility. It should be reported to your homeowner's insurance, but if you knew about it when you moved in, it might not be covered. Either way, it's not safe for you or your family.
    NotPanicking

    Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

  • A few things
    1. Call the doctor and get checked out.

    2. While this is obviously mold, it might not be the toxic Black Mold that you hear about. Mold can be black in color and not be toxic black mold. The only way to tell for sure is to have an expert look at it. You can go to a hardware store and get one of those sample kits and send it away, but that takes weeks. I'd see if I could call someone to come out.

    3. In the meantime, you need to get out of the house to be on the safe side. If it is Toxic Black Mold, you don't want you and your family around it. Even if it isn't Toxic black mold, you can have an allergic reaction to any type of mold that can cause you respiratory distress.
    ChasingBridges

    Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

  • Couple more things if you're the homeowner. If you purchased the home used with the black mold and it wasn't disclosed, there may be legal recourse available. If the house is a new build, there may have been construction defects which led to the problem. We had a lot of construction issues in our tract and had to file a class action suit over it. But if you get involved in such a thing, be wary of how the legal contract is written, because sometimes the settlement isn't nearly enough to repair the issues.
    gdiamante

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

  • Clean it with a solution of bleach & water. You may get an upper respiratory infection in about a week since you breathed it in already. Hopefully your immune system can fight off the worst of it. Find the source of the water leakage & have it repaired. Most likely the roof.

    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

  • Leave the house.
    morebee7

    Answer by morebee7 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN